Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help selecting some carry ammo LE9T5, P9HST2/4

Help selecting some carry ammo LE9T5, P9HST2/4

Thought I'd enlist some help from you all on here. I am in a bit of a conundrum, today I came up on an opportunity to pick up a case of either some LE9T5, P9HST2/P9HST4 and don't have a clue which way to go. The 135 gr +p bonded stuff looks awesome but its $580 and the P9HST2/4 is $160 buck cheaper for the same lot of 1000 rounds. From what I understand based on the bit DocGKR has stated the 135 gr stuff is pretty damn good but so is the HST2. I personally would prefer a bonded bullet but don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze at the extra $160. FWIW these will be run out of a G19 and P2000 and I am thinking that the standard pressure will probably be much appreciated as I do have some nasty pain from some nerve damage.

I remember shooting a few rounds of the 135 gr +p stuff and recall it feeling pretty light though I did shoot it out of a P229. Anyone have any experience with both of these rounds? Thoughts or opinions? I'd appreciate the input and am on a bit of a time constraint.

You have nerve damage, you want an effective soft shooting 9mm round and want to save money. Sounds like the 147gr. HST would be a good choice for you.

I've never felt a difference in recoil between good standard pressure defensive ammo and +p. So I think that's a moot point.

$160 is almost a case of practice ammo, a bomb-set of eyepro or earpro, replacement range bag + range accessories, a bunch of spare mags (consumables, after all), might get you a one day class, or a decent little bit to put in the vacation fund instead.

If having that $160 makes a difference in accomplishing any of the above, I'd buy the cheaper ammo. If you have the money to use, though, then I'd personally go for the gold. That 135gr stuff is hard to find.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'm not stressed about saving the $160 and am happy to spring for it if the performance merits it. Now that I think of it the bit of discomfort I might have won't be a major issue since I won't be shooting a lot of it. Since I reload I should be able to come up with something that mimics feel a poi. Thanks, 135 gr stuff it is. Appreciate the thoughts.

One thing I have found is that a lot of people fail to actually test their ammo at night. Since the vast majority of shootings occur in low light, the lower the muzzle flash the better. Cheaper powders tend to have a lot of flash, and generally the non bonded line of defense ammo from the major manufacturers does not have very low flash powder. HSTs are flashy, especially the +P versions. Audible blast is also a function of how much powder explodes outside the barrel in a big muzzle flash.

Now most of the bonded line of ammo from the major manufacturers uses more expensive powders which are designed to meet Federal contracts, which usually specify low flash. The Federal 135+P TB is a VERY nice duty load. It is lower flash than HSTs, has a wider meplat to catch more tissue on the way in, and has a nice full case cannelure to almost eliminate bullet setback. You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    One thing I have found is that a lot of people fail to actually test their ammo at night. Since the vast majority of shootings occur in low light, the lower the muzzle flash the better. Cheaper powders tend to have a lot of flash, and generally the non bonded line of defense ammo from the major manufacturers does not have very low flash powder. HSTs are flashy, especially the +P versions. Audible blast is also a function of how much powder explodes outside the barrel in a big muzzle flash.

Now most of the bonded line of ammo from the major manufacturers uses more expensive powders which are designed to meet Federal contracts, which usually specify low flash. The Federal 135+P TB is a VERY nice duty load. It is lower flash than HSTs, has a wider meplat to catch more tissue on the way in, and has a nice full case cannelure to almost eliminate bullet setback. You get what you pay for.
    One of the cool things about working at a gun range is that I can turn the lights out/down and practice low-light shooting when nobody's there.

I've noticed no appreciable difference from my perspective between P9HST2, P9HST3, Gold Dot 124gr+P, and Winchester RA9B. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    One of the cool things about working at a gun range is that I can turn the lights out/down and practice low-light shooting when nobody's there.

I've noticed no appreciable difference from my perspective between P9HST2, P9HST3, Gold Dot 124gr+P, and Winchester RA9B. YMMV.
    The problem with HSTs and Ranger Talons is that they have used a wide variety of powders over the years. I have pulled bullets in both lines and found dirty spherical, cheap flake, and occasionally some good tubular. I suppose that it all depends on what they can acquire given market pressures. So, what does it matter?....... Muzzle flash is obviously one attribute I touched on, but the other is performance in adverse weather conditions. Most cheaper powders work fine in temps ranging from 50-90 degrees F. However, when temps are outside of those ranges cheaper powders loose their performance. You can chrono the exact same box of ammo at 80 degrees, and then test it again at 100 degrees and the velocity may drop 50fps. The same performance loss can be measured in colder weather too. More expensive tubular powders are not as sensitive to temp fluxes.

The quality of the powder used is just another important consideration in your ammo selection, along with bullet design, cannelure,.....etc.

2Herebis Le9t5 At And I Cant Find p9hst2 Anywhere Either.

A run of P9HST2 must have come off the line, as I just received several cases. Others are reporting that their orders have also been filled.
    Last edited by ST911; 08-07-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Haha wow and i just bought 25 boxes of the +p 147. Damn. Ive had a small backorder in at streichers for 16 months and finally bought the p9hst4 instead.

User Tag List