Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sights: One for all or mission driven?

Sights: One for all or mission driven?

The thread about using the same gun for competition and carry got me thinking about sights. Sight choice seems to be a large part of personal preference steered by platform availability. I couldn't help but wonder if I'm causing issues in my development by shooting two different sight types. All of my personally owned guns wear Ameriglo iDot Pro sights. I love these sights and have found that my eyes seem to really work with this combo. Plenty of visibility and I can reach a fairly acceptable level of precision with these sights. On my work gun I'm stuck with factory Glock night sights. I can work with them but I can't get past what seems like a personal handicap when using these sights. It seems that although I can be accurate with the Glock NSs it requires much more effort on my part. Think shooting a B8 at 25yds, my score is easily 10pts lower with the Glock NSs vs. the iDot Pros. Is this because I've accustomed myself to the Ameriglo sights too much? Do the Glock sights present some sort of a disadvantage? More practice needed with the Glock sights?

If I were able, I would put Ameriglo's on my duty gun but presently that's not permitted. I'm considering swapping everything over to Glock sights to keep everything the same. Decisions, decisions...

So what do you guys think? Am I putting myself at a disadvantage using two different sight systems? I know lots of folks carry night sighted guns and compete with fiberoptic sights (or some other combo). I'm putting a lot of effort into training primarily with my duty gun/gear this year and it's frustrating when I pick up an identical gun with different sights to find my performance (accuracy) improve.
    Last edited by MD7305; 07-29-2015 at 01:20 AM.

Site Supporter
    Hmm.

I use a few different sights on pistols, I don't really find it a disadvantage.
    Other than when going from one to the other the sight heights are different, but it's usually only on the first draw, after that I am ok.

I find bright night sights and bright fibre optic sights not to be beneficial to my shooting.

If I could I would like to keep everything the same, but it's not real practical.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Have several types of sights on several different firearms.
    I've become a believer in Proctor's Y sights on my G34 for gaming and target work.

On carry weapons, I tend to lean toward the Trijicon HD/Ameriglo CAP style.....Been trying a plethora of different ones over the last year, which actually has not helped my shooting at all. Found however, that the black rears, with a bright daylight front/tritium night works for me.
    I've also found that red/orange does not work as well for me as the lime/chartreuse do. I find it faster, and track it better.

Sights can be so subjective, and honestly, what one guy recommends, another loathes. It can be as confusing as trying to find THE right holster....which could be a whole 'nother thread.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

For me, sights do matter. Not really the overall brand, but the type. Right now, I'm able to get my first shot on target faster with a 2 dot setup and a POA/POI to the top dot. So any pistol that I buy will get 2 dot sights put on it. Brand? Doesn't really matter to me and my low shooting ability, but the 2 dot pattern doesn't cause any pause or hesitation in my presentation/fire sequence like a single dot/fiber or 3 dot.

If I were forced to have a sight setup, like you and your requisite 3 dot setup, I'd replicate that dot picture with all my other pistols.

only thing that seems to matter to me is a blacked out rear. I am enjoying a fiber front but am looking at trying a night sight front in the future.

all care about is the rear blacked out up front could care less have fibers, and night sights they all work

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    only thing that seems to matter to me is a blacked out rear. I am enjoying a fiber front but am looking at trying a night sight front in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve f View Post
    all care about is the rear blacked out up front could care less have fibers, and night sights they all work
    Seems to be where I am coming out as well. I put Trijicon HDs on my VP9. All I can see is that big yellow dot.

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't change my personal sights to an inferior type just to match my employers choices.

I'm also a fan of the Pro I dots, I have them on my personal / Agency approved Glock 26. We issue P229R DAKS with the current, Meprolight Siglite NS, similar to the Glock NS. On the SIG I normally color over the rear dots with a red or blue sharpie.

Any suggestions on pitching a request to change sights? I think the biggest draw back would be the surge of everyone who would want to follow, not from a performance perspective, but more because "he got to do it" perspective. That's probably why I'd get denied more than any other reason. Is this a scenario where it's better to ask forgiveness than permission? That's a rhetorical question but it's crossed my mind a time or. two

In the mean time I've been dry firing twice as much with the Glock nights sights. Gonna go to the range this week and see if there's any improvement. It's mostly 25yd bullseye that I see a performance gap with those sights so I'm gonna start there.
    Last edited by MD7305; 08-02-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Any suggestions on pitching a request to change sights? I think the biggest draw back would be the surge of everyone who would want to follow, not from a performance perspective, but more because "he got to do it" perspective.
    There are several approaches to take for an agency-wide or policy change.

Take your choice(s) of high visibility sights to work and pass them around to everyone likely to talk about them. Create buzz.

Schedule a demo shoot on guns with high visibility sights. Carefully form your invite list to include some helpful decision makers, some folks with mature eyes, some geardos that like new stuff, and a few average folks.

Work the numbers with some cooperative shooters. Gather shooting performance data, and eye science.

Combine elements of the above.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List