Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing posts help

Editing posts help

So for the life of me, I cannot edit my postings here. Looked high and low on the actual posts, and even under "thread tools", there is nada for me to enable an edit. Did the search thing, and it came up with a step by step process, but somehow nowhere can I find the pen icon listed in that process. Any advice is greatly appreciated in this matter.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by johncorey View Post
    So for the life of me, I cannot edit my postings here. Looked high and low on the actual posts, and even under "thread tools", there is nada for me to enable an edit. Did the search thing, and it came up with a step by step process, but somehow nowhere can I find the pen icon listed in that process. Any advice is greatly appreciated in this matter.
    there is a time limit

When it is available, it is in the bottom right corner like this:

What's the possibility of either extending or altogether eliminating the time limit for editing?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Thanks to all. Was not aware of the time limit...I'm with ST911, what is the possibility of doing away with that limit? This is coming from a viewpoint of currently trying to update my listings in the FSOT. I believe that an edit function would tend to work better in such a case.
    You don't gotta love it. You just gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Are their other reasons that people would like to edit their posts that I'm not considering?
    Thanks Tom, I see the point(s) in your post. My interest in expanded editing is primarily a longer interval in which to tweak verbiage that was clear in the mind and didn't make it to the keyboard. Also the spelling/grammatical stuff that may not be caught except in a later read.

For the EE/FSOT sub-forum expanded editing ability has some benefits, but admittedly also comes with some member antics and frustration for mods/staff as well.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

That makes sense and I can certainly appreciate the desire to fix stuff that you didn't notice when you first posted. In fact, it's something that I do fairly regularly on my posts.
    #modprivilege #regularmemberpostsmatter #hashtag

I'm not sure exactly what the time limit is now, but I think it's 10-15 minutes. What would be a better limit? 30 minutes? An hour? A day?

I believe its 30 minutes now.

It took a bit of getting used to at first, but I did get used to it. I tend to edit to clean up spelling etc, or add ideas. An hour or two is probably plenty from my perspective, but thats the thoughts of just one person.

Its unique to here so far as Im aware, but I like the limit concept.

Site Supporter
    by having a small-ish window during which someone can edit their posts, it sort of discourages people from being a raging asshole and then later coming back and deleting it.
    This is why I like the short edit window.

I often miss grammar issues because of the too-many-edits syndrome, but I'm willing to sacrafice that so that people have to think twice about what/how they post.

A few years ago on the Enos forum there was a frequent contributor who posted some really quality information. For some reason, they went back and deleted every post that they had ever made. The forum lost some valuable information.

On another forum, I see one poster who will have edited his post several times in a few minutes. He is a little hot headed and I am always frustrated to not know what he originally said.

I say a few minutes for spell check and then you have to live with what you said. Think before you post.

I don't mind a time limit for editing, I do sometimes wish the time period was longer, an hour, perhaps. Mostly I do it to fix typos or fat-fingering, but occasionally there's a bit of L'esprit de l'escalier.

Concur with accountability as a justification for the time limit. Maybe the main reason.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List