Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please explain the Watson HiTS knife - Calling Nyeti

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

Please explain the Watson HiTS knife - Calling Nyeti

So a while ago I acquired a Joe Watson HiTS...but I know next to nothing about the knife, its features, or the reasons behind the design. I just know it looks like it's built pretty sturdy.
    3/15/2016

In.

Think for yourself. Question authority.

To get you started until Nyeti adds details.

By Hizzie: http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=8543

Tag. I like mine.
    #RESIST

totally in, if I can find a trainer in stock to go with it.

Yeah, I've been on the notification list for the trainer for many months and have never seen it come back in stock.

Having a Strider DB and a Watson HiTS it seems that they have similar handle shape and handling characteristics. The DB is optimized as a sharp prybar and the HiTS is optimized to cut and be reasonably tough.
    I like both a lot.
    Last edited by 1slow; 07-28-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Yeah, I've been on the notification list for the trainer for many months and have never seen it come back in stock.
    PM outbound.

When I purchased the live blade, it came with a trainer. I guess that was some sort of package deal offered for a limited time?

I do like mine, and wear it every day at 11:30 in a horizontal carry, with the handle oriented to my centerline. I have found this Galco set of loops to be useful in doing so: http://www.amazon.com/Galco-TBL13-Tr...129005&sr=1-18

I gave a set of those to nyeti and Joe Watson, I'm not sure if they are using them. Hope that helps.

Sorry I missed this.

I have been involved in numerous knife designs over the years with several makers. Obviously,the Strider DB has been the most popular and well proven design in a lot of bad places all over the world and in many roles I never imagined. It also carries a NSN in the DB-L as an issue USMC assaulters knife.

Being retired, I wanted to do a knife that was more geared towards everyday concealed carry and geared towards personal protection and not so much in the "breaking things" role. I met Joe Watson in person at a show and we took the handle from one knife, blade from another, and then discussed various modifications. Joe did a unique reinforced tip that gives the knife great penetration power to get through clothing and barriers, and it allows it to be thinner in the back portion of the cutting edge to allow for better cutting ability. I love how the original blades came out and they fulfill the intended role. The design has morphed into compact editions and into Titanium editions using Joe's elector welded edge that allows for a Ti knife and its benefits that cuts like crazy. When I carry a knife by itself as a primary covert knife, I like the steel HiTS. For a secondary knife or back up to other systems, I use a compact Ti version that I wear pretty much every waking hour around my neck.

As far as trainers....the first knives were shipped with them to encourage training. The HiTS was the first foray into a serious defensive knife for many folks, so Joe and I both thought it would be good to include a trainer. I do not think you need an exact trainer for every knife you have. I think you can get by with something similar that covers numerous different blades.

I am talking to Joe right now about how to do an economical trainer at this point. Joe is spending a ton of time and effort on the trainers now that takes away from makin real knives. We are looking at some options.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List