Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
Ive been a part of various LE active shooter training scenarios shere we utilized children during in service days for teachers at schools.

Overwhelmingly, the best course of action for a child is either to run away from the area (preferably with the guidance of an adult) or to find a place to hide and learn how to be silent/stealthy. They need to learn that once they hide, even if someone shows them a badge to not open the door unless it is someone they personally know.

I am totally cool with kids hiding so deep that it requires a parent to get them out.

This may be more for teachers however because they may be the ones who can make those desicions very quickly without second guessing themselves.

When you kid goes to school, go talk to the teachers, the principal, etc, they may have an active shooter drill once in a while or a plan of action, ask them to explain it to you and then talk to the PD to see what they're training and ability is like.

One of the scenarios I was in a child opened the door when we ID ourselves as LEO...except we were role playing bad guys...that would have been bad if it was the real thing.
There's a lot of wisdom here. As a parent with my first child approaching school age, I plan on doing much of what has been shared in this post.