Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry gun, competition gun -- same or different

I think you need to define the purpose of competition in your... I guess... "shooting life."

Examples:

1: Some folks don't live near a range where they can actually draw from a holster and shoot a drill because of range rules. A match can provide an exception to this rule for them, and after extensive dry fire practice they can validate with live fire at a match. This guy should probably shoot his carry rig. (It is easy to forget that a good chunk of the gun owning public is in this situation. Especially if you can drive 15 minutes to a private range and do whatever the hell you want.)

2: If you live somewhere with easy access to a range where you can keep up your holster skills with whatever you carry, and are proficient with your carry rig... changing out to a competition oriented gun can yield improved results in matches.

Also... if your goal in competition is to flat out win matches and not to get some practice with carry gear... there is a reason that top notch winning shooters use Glock 34's and not 19's or Tangfoglio Stock II's and not CZ P01's or Rami's.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 07-28-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Discussion for those that carry and compete in a shooting sport (USPSA, IDPA, etc.). Is your game gun the same, or at least the same platform as you carry, or is it a totally different platform?
    I'd also request that you define the word "platform" in the context of this discussion. (Not being snarky, the word has become very diluted in the context of firearms.)

For example...

Is a Glock 26 the same platform as a Glock 34?

Is a Sig 938 the same platform as a Springfield Range Officer?
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 07-28-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Carry a 19 or 26,
    But shoot the 34 as a game gun.
    My thought process was that Glock triggers are generally the same[obviously the 34's trigger is more refined], and that the manual of arms would be the same.
    One of my shootin' buddies carries a 19, and has a separate one for gaming. He shoots it excellent, so in his case, the one-gun-platform works. Both Gen 3 G19's by the way.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I think there is something to be said for wringing out carry gear in a competition situation. This, to me, is the great thing about the smaller, local club matches where I can shoot a variety of stuff and remain competitive. While it's possible to figure stuff out running range drills, the added stress of a match gives me better data on how guns, sights, etc are really going to work for me.

To answer the original question, if I want to be as competitive as possible, I'm shooting a tuned CZ Shadow, Blade-Tech OWB, not carry gear. While I carry a CZ P-07 AIWB a lot, I don't choose that pistol because they are both CZ's. I do like a hammer on an AIWB pistol, and am currently revisiting the HK P2000 V3.
    Last edited by SteveB; 07-28-2015 at 06:35 AM.

I pretty much dumped everything else when we went to Glock 9mms at work, and since I had been competing with a S&W 5906 before that it was a bit of a step up in competition ability of the gun.

I tend to carry G19s in the summer, often G17s in the winter, compete with both. My nod to competition is to have a G17 with a FO front sight instead of night sights, and sometimes shooting USPSA from my duty holster instead of from concealed. I do pretty good with even the G19 from carry gear, rarely winning, but always well above the middle and often placing.

Happy end of G19 competition day (for me), everyone else in the pic is a cop from my job and they were also shooting a Glock 9mm, which is what they carry on duty;

Name:  Sunflower classic 2014.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  73.0 KB
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Haven't shot a match in a while, but I always ran my carry gear. I prefer not to switch platforms, but getting a little time on something new every few months--lately, it's the USP--helps improve my technique.

Okie John

For me, it was about simplification. I was chasing and experimenting with calibers, platforms, competition divisions, and carry positions. My vision also declined a little over this time. So, my do it all pistol resulted in an RMR'd G19. I like going straight from the car to competition and back again.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB
    I think there is something to be said for wringing out carry gear in a competition situation.
    The small league I shoot with here in NH is having their next match as a BUG match. Only carry guns of 3" or shorter are allowed. I'll be slinging the G26.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Same, although I could see how a compact with the same manual of arms could be substituted as needed. Two different platforms is a complete waste of practice time for me personally.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I used to be all about a systems approach of competing and carrying the same type of gun.

Now I compete with a Shadow or a Stock 3 and carry a Glock. And the better I get at shooting the Shadow, coincidentally the better I get at shooting the Glocks. I think far too much gets made of the differences between platforms.

In fact I have more issues trying to use a carry version of my competition gun and missing the smaller controls than I do switching between totally different pistols.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List