Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry gun, competition gun -- same or different

Carry gun, competition gun -- same or different

Discussion for those that carry and compete in a shooting sport (USPSA, IDPA, etc.). Is your game gun the same, or at least the same platform as you carry, or is it a totally different platform?

I have friends that insist on gaming and carrying the same platform, and friends that game one platform and carry another. They are all still my friends. Kidding aside, I think there are excellent reasons to game and carry the same platform, and equally compelling reasons to carry one platform and game another.

Before I say what my current thinking is, I would be interested in hearing from others.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think time and money would determine this for most people. For me, I only have time and money to get proficient with one platform so that is what I do. I think most shooters would be better off using one type of pistol but for high end shooters, I'm sure it doesn't matter to much what pistol they use.

Site Supporter
    Glock's for everything here.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I no longer compete, but when I did I carried the exact same gun for everything. Springfield Target Loaded 1911.

I would probably still carry it for everything except for no SAO rule at my department so I moved to Sigs. If I were to shoot competition, it would certainly be with a copy of my duty gun.

The same gun I carry everyday is the exact same gun I use for training and compition. Wish I had a safe full of pistols and had different ones for different things.

+1, same here.

Same for everything.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Same for me, differing only in barrel length. I value having the same trigger, same grip (index), and same sights. In truth the only reason I even have a 34 is because the shop was out of 17's when I went to pick up a second one and I didn't want to come home empty handed...I'd like to evaluate at some point whether there's actually any measurable difference in my performance between the two.

I think that I can write a small dissertation on the subject. I've started, like most self-defense oriented guys, with my carry gun. I channeled Gabe and shot my first USPSA match with a P30 in the Limited minor from the appendix rig.
    Several observations followed. First, I am no Gabe. Second, P30 LEM is no G34. Third, if you shoot competition and don't care to win or place the best, you're wrong (this statement may merit a separate thread if somebody has an issue with it). While I continue to use P30 and P30L for the local IDPA where they are amply sufficient, the USPSA is another story. That's how I ended up with a Beretta Elite and, being true to my train as you fight roots (mild sarcasm), I carried that anchor in AIWB for 8 months or so. Then I got tired. Then I got a CZ P01, hoping to carry it and compete with an SP01. P01 had to go to all major CZ houses to make it both hi-speed and reliable, and I haven't really vetted the last part fully yet. Disillusioned with it, I never got SP01. The compact Beretta kept turning me off on the account of a front sight and Beretta's loose definition of a "compact" term. I did get one eventually and it is somewhere in Pittsburgh now, getting the G-spot worked over.

At the end I said the following: fuck it. I've shot either the LEM guns or B92 nearly exclusively since October '11. I know exactly what price I am paying for switching back and forth. In general, my first shot, from a standpoint of CCW priorities, is faster with LEM; the rest of a mag - with Beretta. I have exactly zero problems with mag buttons differences. So I carry LEM, either 30 or 2000sk. I compete with 30L in IDPA and even occasionally in USPSA, but if I need to go get my best scores, it is an Elite. Also, a Beretta with a standard heavy ass mainspring sees the most of my dry fire. I used to make a point to dry fire both systems during each df session, and that nonsense is over with.
    I simply stopped worrying about not having the same carry and game gun, and my timer was instrumental in putting these worries away.
    Last edited by YVK; 07-28-2015 at 12:12 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I think one can develop a much higher level skill set by embracing the pure race gun game; learning to shoot (and more importantly visually process) at a higher level will translate directly to one's carry equipment. Akin to learning to drive track/race cars and having that translate back into having a higher level of understanding when driving your Corolla home from work. Is all the capability going to be there? No. But having learned to work at a more advanced level, a good bit of the processing carries over.

[Runs away...]

User Tag List