Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry gun, competition gun -- same or different

Very interesting, thanks!

I think that a absolute performance tool can help you to stretch your ability because it takes away the excuse that '' it is the gun making mistakes''. Sometimes it can stretch your ability past where you thought it was. Sometimes you can transfer the improvement back to your carry gear.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    If it wouldn't bring down the wrath of my wife it might be tempting to test that theory...it was hard enough to convince her I need the free Glocks from GSSF.

Not to derail and can move to pm if needed but are you talking about the GSSF coupons? Considered getting that even if I intend to focus on my current gun just given the lead one it would take to receive two coupons.

I think he means the Glocks won as prizes in GSSF competition, as opposed to the purchase coupons that come at some point after joining GSSF as a member and let one buy Glocks at what amounts to LE pricing or close to it.

Even the prize Glocks aren't really free, after accounting for the required GSSF membership, entry fees, ammo, and any applicable upgrade fees for Glocks beyond the 'base models.' They can be a very good deal, though.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I have two G34s that go to matches with me and I carry one of two G19s for my daily carry. I would love to say that I shoot the G19s as well as the G34 but for me the difference is drastic. My carry guns have a stock 5.5 pound trigger and competition guns run about 2.5 pounds and the longer sight radius really helps me.

I keep thinking that I really want to do a grip reduction on a G17 - make it G19 length and have the little bit extra barrel and carry that. I think that I will end up with this sooner than later.

One more note: I bought a third G34 lower and put an Advanced Armament 22 rimfire conversion kit on the top of it and shoot that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Not to speak for taadski, but I think the idea is that by shooting an actual race gun (as an example) you can redefine your sense of how fast aiming and firing can be done, and improve your visual and mental abilities to contend with shooting at that pace. Then, you go back to your normal gun and can bring some of that increased performance sense with you, and hopefully drive the normal gun harder than you were before.
    That's an interesting theory and probably works fine for a normal gun shooter. A pure race gun shooter doing the opposite? Well, I recently saw a master level open shooter fail to hit a popper with a calibration gun (Sig 226) at about 12 yards. After five misses he handed it to the RO and said, "it's not my gun, do this for me!"

I still use a 1911 for bullseye but no longer carry one. I still haven't found anything that works as well for me at that particular game. I now carry a Beretta 92 off duty and my issued G22 while at work. On the occasions when I compete in one of the run and gun competitons I've used the 1911, though I may start using the 92. Since working so heavily with the Beretta over the last year and a half, I've actually found that my performance has increased with the Glock both in time and accuracy.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I carry different guns depending on the situation. The same was true of my competition guns back when I shot USPSA with the goal of making GM in all five divisions (when there were five). Now I shoot one platform in USPSA (fat open blaster) and I carry either a LWT Commander in .38 Supercomp (cool/cold weather) or a Shield in the summer. FWIW, I never met my goal of GM in 5 divisions. I was the first USPSA shooter to shoot the scores necessary to make Master in 5 divisions, but I only made GM in 3 divisions. I started USPSA late in life at 44 years old. Wish I would have started sooner.

Site Supporter
    I don't compete a lot, but so far I've always used Glock 17/19/26 which is what I carry. One day, I'll buy a revolver and see if spending some serious time with it helps me shoot my Glocks better.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    One day, I'll buy a revolver and see if spending some serious time with it helps me shoot my Glocks better.
    Based on some dedicated efforts with my Js, it absolutely did for me.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List