Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What gear am I missing as new gun owner

What gear am I missing as new gun owner

in preparation for eventual ccw and training classes in the meantime, what else should a brand new shooter get? Part of this is driven by the fact I'm going to PEP3 and don't want to be the only guy with one extra mag and contImually reloading or struggling with other missing gear. Currently I have an OWB kydex holster, gonna start testing IWB holsters, and have two factory magazines.

Thinking for classes I should get 3 more magazines, carrier for two magazines and a belt. Should that be sufficient? Obviously with five mags I'd track which I use for carry and training once I get permit/training.

Also, should I try also getting a nicer belt that might allow me to look more dressed up than a nylon belt? This would be more geared to when I start carrying.

Any recommendations for gear I'm missing, belt brands, or general knowledge to look at would be appreciated.

Extra mags are a good call - the less you have to stop to stuff mags, the better. 5 would be a great start. Figure out some way to mark your mags to keep them from getting confused.

So you're on the right track - a holster and a mag carrier should be sufficient to start with. My strongest suggestion is don't buy something cheap just to get it in time. I'd look to spend the money on a Raven Concealment Holster and Double Magazine Carrier. They have "quick-ship" ready to go holsters you can order in the next day or two and have it with plenty of time. 1.5" Belt Loops for a 1.5" Belt Many guys on here will vouch for RCS gear, and you'll see a lot of different types of Ravens gear at PEP.

The belt may be tough to turn around in 3 weeks. Ares Gear makes great belt - and the AEGIS belt will cover both training and "nicer" options - it doesn't have the "tactical seat belt" Cobra buckle found in the Ranger Belts. I also really like the Mean Gene Leather offering of the Victory Aegis Belt. It has the nice buckle that comes on the Ares Gear Aegis while being on a leather belt. I like the buckle because it allows for adjustment - for whichever position you chose to carry - or in case Thanksgiving is not too kind to your belt line. 1.5" Belt for 1.5" Belt Loops

You'll spend a lot of time staring at dudes gear at PEP. Of all the places I've been, thats a great one to ask questions about what they're using, what they like and why they like it. It's a great group of individuals - both the instructors and students.

Quote Originally Posted by EChryst View Post
    You'll spend a lot of time staring at dudes gear at PEP.

Phrasing.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

You'll spend a lot of time looking at less than optimal equipment that other dudes have. AKA, Junk. You'll spend a lot of time looking at other dudes' junk.

Tom, that took 3 minutes longer than I thought for someone to comment on that. I was ready with this reply.

Raven Concealment:
    http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com

Ares Gear:
    https://www.aresgear.com

Mean Gene Leather:
    http://www.meangeneleather.com

ETA: Looks like from your past posts, you're shooting a CZ. That may be hard to find as an off-the-shelf option

I think it's hard to beat a Wilderness Tactical 5-stitch belt, either standard or Frequent Flyer. The 1.5" is typically the most versatile. http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/

If you want a leather belt fast, there is A&G Custom Leather http://agcustomgunleather.com/store/...leather-belts/

An UpLULA and electronic hearing protection are handy for classes. Regarding the latter, a search will bring up lots of threads discussing both the absolute best and best on a budget.

I wear Atlas G-hook belts, largely because I dislike a pronounced buckle.

What size belt do you need? I may be able to help you out with a belt because I have a wilderness tactical belt that is no longer used/worn. You just pay the shipping and I'll get it out your way, let me know!

these are my favorite hearing pro and they are cheap for how good they are. Electronic ear pro is a must for classes:
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...tronic+ear+pro

Good advice thus far. I'll add:
    • Electronic ear pro is good for matches and classes. I rarely wear it for practice because it amplifies every inane thing that other people say.
    • You'll want a timer at some point, but wait until you've done some training so you'll have an idea of what to measure and why.
    • A good padded bag for your range gear is nice, especially if it has sleeves that keeps mags from getting banged up.
    • A pair of cheap binoculars is nice if you have to shoot on ranges where the light is poor or if you start shooting at longer distances.

Finally, don't go too deep on gadgets. Once you get the stuff identified as mandatory in this thread, spend your money on range time for the next year or so.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Good advice thus far. I'll add:
    • Electronic ear pro is good for matches and classes. I rarely wear it for practice because it amplifies every inane thing that other people say.
    • You'll want a timer at some point, but wait until you've done some training so you'll have an idea of what to measure and why.
    • A good padded bag for your range gear is nice, especially if it has sleeves that keeps mags from getting banged up.
    • A pair of cheap binoculars is nice if you have to shoot on ranges where the light is poor or if you start shooting at longer distances.

Finally, don't go too deep on gadgets. Once you get the stuff identified as mandatory in this thread, spend your money on range time for the next year or so.

Okie John
    ^wisdom. I wish I would of bought a belt, ear pro, holster, mag pouches, mags, and a range membership. Then in a perfect world the rest of my money on ammo/training but I kept trying the newest and best thing...

User Tag List