Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marine brass endorse infantry plan to ditch M16 for the M4

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    yes, the unit that was leaving helped us at the range and they had hk mags..
    Weird.

Ever hear how well the HK mags held up? Their steel mags don't have the best reputation for durability compared to polymer or aluminum....plus the weight. Blegh.

In your unit, how many mags did the automatic rifleman carry himself? I think the TO&E was 22...but I'm guessing you guys split that up?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Weird.

Ever hear how well the HK mags held up? Their steel mags don't have the best reputation for durability compared to polymer or aluminum....plus the weight. Blegh.

In your unit, how many mags did the automatic rifleman carry himself? I think the TO&E was 22...but I'm guessing you guys split that up?
    If I recall correctly it varied widely between each squad and what they were doing. I have been out of the loop for awhile now so I am unsure if they are even still using them. The Hk mags seemed to be fine, I never actually asked. My personal opinion is they should of supplemented the m249 and 240, not replaced it. I say that because those things were amazingly accurate on full auto with a bipod..

I would love to see the Marine Corps replace the m16 with a m4 or m27 but we have been hearing stuff like this forever. I think a lot of marines are still enthralled with the image of the long range shooting marine rifleman when the truth is we need lighter kit so we can maneuver and destroy the enemy, which the m4 helps accomplish through weight/size.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    If I recall correctly it varied widely between each squad and what they were doing. I have been out of the loop for awhile now so I am unsure if they are even still using them. The Hk mags seemed to be fine, I never actually asked. My personal opinion is they should of supplemented the m249 and 240, not replaced it. I say that because those things were amazingly accurate on full auto with a bipod..
    I don't know how it was actually implented, but that's how it was supposed to be. There were supposed to be 6 M249s in each company, used as the CO saw fit.

Arms room concept. It could make for an absolutely wicked SBF position if used correctly.

You can't really have an intelligent conversation on the topic before reading CWO3 Eby's Automatic Rifle Concept two-part paper.

Do a Google search and read up.
    Done. Thanks for the recommendation.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Done. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Clears it up big time, right? From the horses mouth, as well.

Their steel mags don't have the best reputation for durability compared to polymer or aluminum....plus the weight. Blegh.
    Not the OP, just my 2c. Those steel HK “maritime” mags were absolute garbage in an M4. I had 14 and they’d double feed more consistently than any other mag I’ve used, plus weight, plus rust. Maybe they work better in a 416 but I’ll never find out as long as there are PMags.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    LEAKED: USMC Test Calls M27, M38 DMR Into Question

On the heels of the USMC’s effort 140 Comments, as well as the M38 Designated Marksman Rifle variant, The Firearm Blog has received a copy of a 2016 report intended to justify procurement of accessories and additional M27s to fill a need for a special purpose rifle (SPR). The report documents a test conducted at Quantico, Virginia, by the Product Manager, Infantry Weapons Product Management Office (PdM IW). 9 M27 IARs were tested, each firing 2700 rounds over the course of the test. Notably, the Lead Engineer and Assistant Product Manager for this test was the recently-retired Salvatore Fanelli, who worked at Heckler & Koch in the early-mid 2000s.

What a BS article.

Mr. Fanelli worked at HK over a DECADE before that USMC test; he also previously worked for FN.

Does that somehow make him biased?

Not a chance!

He is one of the best small arms engineers in the industry; no one did better test and eval at USMC IW in the past 3 decades than Mr. Fanelli. Period.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is either an ignorant moron or a pure douche bag...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List