Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What To Do When You Don’t Have Your Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I was considering just keeping it plugged in long-term, but I don't know if keeping a battery powered device plugged in for what would likely be years at a time is a good idea.
    Its generally not, depending upon the battery chemistry. Most cell phones use lipo (lithium-polymer) batteries these days, and leaving one of those plugged in is definitely asking for a fire.

The way to do it would be to find a phone that has a NiMH (nickle-metal-hydride) or a Nicad (nickle-cadmium) battery, and hook it up to a trickle charger at C10 rate (one tenth of the "standard" charge rate, which depends upon the milliamp-hour capacity of that specific battery). Two problems with this… finding a usable phone with such a battery, and setting the C10 rate of the charger. The second problem shouldn't be too difficult; you can find trickle chargers that "pulse" the energy input. You plug it in between the phone and the charger, and it causes the charger to send the charging energy into the battery at timed intervals instead of a steady rate. I have left these two types of batteries, in my R/C model airplanes, on trickle charge for over a year with no damage to the battery or its capacity.

Finding a phone with these batteries… well, that will be the trick.

AFAIK, you cannot do this with the newer lipo and li-on (lithium-ion) batteries. The latter are particularly dangerous in that they are quite intolerant of over-charging or -discharging. Remember some years back when folks were having their cell phones blow up in their face? That was li-on batteries.

The lipos are relatively safe, IF you pay attention to their status. They do not do well when discharged below 20% of rated capacity, nor left fully charged over a long period. They will "keep" fully charged, but every time you do you diminish the capacity somewhat, and its a logarithmatic progression; i.e., gets worse.

ANY of these batteries will fry if kept hooked up to a full rate charger once they are "full". The lithium batteries are a real fire/explosion hazard if handled this way; the nicads and NiMH batteries will just die.

You bring up a very valid concern, one that never occurred to me- probably because I have stash guns in strategic locations and plan on handling business myself; calling the cops to clean up the mess afterward, etc.

If I were going to emplace a "stash phone", what I would do is buy a Go Phone and set up a maintenance schedule on my roster of "Shit to Do on a Regular Basis"; IOW, plug the charger in for 24 hours every two weeks or so.

If you have any e-geek friends, setting up a phone with a nicad or NiMH battery and trickle charger would be an interesting and challenging project… and you'd have a "set and forget" system.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Is mine the last household with a landline?
    I have both. Cell is pretty flaky where I live, I can usually only talk if I'm on the porch, and still lose calls and people say I'm breaking up all the time if I turn slightly. Land line is the only reliable communications right here.

I leave an old cell and car charger in my vehicle in case I forget my phone when leaving home. If I need it it will work fairly quickly while plugged in.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Alarm key fobs. (You do have a monitored alarm, don't you?)
    We do, and I keep it armed 24/7 for this exact reason, but my SO isn't quite as fastidious about arming it sometimes. I hadn't thought about the fob, though. My SO keeps one on her key chain, so I know the system works with one. I'll call the company to see if we can get another.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Its generally not, depending upon the battery chemistry.
    Good info, thanks.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I like the prepaid idea. You get a brand new phone and battery. Tracphone, as far as I know will triple your Minutes data and call time when you buy a smart phone. Additionally you get lifetime activation with a smart phone. Buy once and you are set. And it gives u a backup phone as mentioned earlier.

I have a landline because I want to be able to make sure I can get calls. My wife's famous iPhone gets bad reception where my little Nokia Windows phone gets good reception and we are on the same carrier.

Panasonic has a range of cordless home phones that also work via Bluetooth as handsets for cell phones, the feature is called Link2Cell. So you can have multiple handsets on charging bases throughout the house that can both answer calls and dial out on either your landline or linked cell phone. I believe some models can be used without a landline. Not ideal for emergency scenarios but it has solved the problem of my wife (who does not believe in pockets) frantically trying to get to her phone when it rings from wherever she happened to have left it.

To power a spare phone in an emergency situation, what about a AA-powered USB charger? Charging the phone every few weeks seems to be the best solution, but a charger powered by Energizer Lithium AA's could be a decent backup plan. Assuming your phone can power on from the charger even if its own battery is dead, that is...I've seen some that want to be charged to a minimum level before they'll power up, would need to test it out.

That idea made we wonder whether there might be some phone out there actually powered by AA's...a quick search turned up the SpareOne Emergency Phone. That looks perfect. $50, powered by a single AA, designed for long term storage (15 year shelf life with included L91), one touch 911, built in flashlight, can take a GSM SIM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    That idea made we wonder whether there might be some phone out there actually powered by AA's...a quick search turned up the SpareOne Emergency Phone. That looks perfect. $50, powered by a single AA, designed for long term storage (15 year shelf life with included L91), one touch 911, built in flashlight, can take a GSM SIM.
    This thingy is interesting. Reviews on Amazon are saying the emergency button dials the European 911, which is apparently 112. Not like just dialing the numbers 9-1-1 is that big of a deal.

On a side note: how can you test calling emergency services without actually calling emergency services? Just calling 911 and saying, "Oh, I was just seeing if my phone works" seems like it would make them angry.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    On a side note: how can you test calling emergency services without actually calling emergency services? Just calling 911 and saying, "Oh, I was just seeing if my phone works" seems like it would make them angry.
    You probably can't. In a small jurisdiction, you might call the non-emergency line and ask if you can do so. Simply testing it would be illegal in some places and annoying in all.

Any cell phone that will function will call 911. It doesn't matter if it has service, if it ever had service, if it was a prepaid that was never activated, etc. It will call 911.

This thingy is interesting. Reviews on Amazon are saying the emergency button dials the European 911, which is apparently 112. Not like just dialing the numbers 9-1-1 is that big of a deal.
    Wonder if the people with the 112 issue were possibly sent the version of the phone for the European GSM frequencies? The manual available online says the emergency button is programmable, whereas two of the reviews say it is not...maybe they didn't read the manual, or maybe that function doesn't work as it's supposed to. The review mentioning the 2G GSM issue is more concerning, I'd want to look into that before picking one up. Also one of the reviews mentioned that the phone talks to you, I'd like to understand under what circumstances it does so as that could obviously be less than ideal in certain types of emergencies.

I paid a kid at a t-mobile store $20 years ago and got a bagful of old cell phones and chargers. I have phones and chargers stashed in every room, including bathrooms. After reading this I went and plugged them in and they all still power up, most pop up an "emergency call only" message. Not the most elegant solution and has plenty of flaws, but it's better than nothing.

User Tag List