Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What To Do When You Don’t Have Your Phone

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    "Smart" phones these days are exactly that, smart. They don't care about a charging schedule, a little here, a little there, doesn't matter with todays battery tech like it once did. I charge my phone anytime it approaches 50% power, and I generally charge it at work or in the car to and from.
    Getting 'way off track, lots of good info here: Battery Information Table of Contents, Basic to Advanced
    Newer battery technology has made old concerns about batteries developing a memory passe.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Getting 'way off track, lots of good info here: Battery Information Table of Contents, Basic to Advanced
    Newer battery technology has made old concerns about batteries developing a memory passe.
    Which was precisely my point, but thank you for digging up some supporting technical info though.

Site Supporter
    I have thought of the whole what to do if I can't call for help.
    Mainly because quite often I am out of cell range.

Other than HF and UHF radios in my vehicles I haven't come up with a lot.

In regards to when I am at home I have three land line phones in the house, one is fixed the other two are cordless. They are in areas I spend most of my time.
    I also have a cell, it's never too far, I kind of figure if I have a big enough problem at home one of the neighbours will be phoning in anyway.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post

I dont recall if it was mentioned already, but some areas, different companies use different towers, so coverage isnt the same with all carriers. One companies phones may work in places others dont. When making a 911 call, even if you dont have a signal through your provider, the phone will kick over to searching for any signal it can find. Moral being, even if your phone shows no service, it may work on a 911 call on another carriers tower.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post

Other than HF and UHF radios in my vehicles I haven't come up with a lot.
    I plan on getting one of these before my next camping trip: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...h-explorer.php

Not sure how well they'd be able to coordinate an LE response, since their focus is SAR, but it might be worth looking into.

I always go to the toilet with my phone (and gun) - less from being paranoid, but it just a lot easier than dropping stuff -- I plug it in at work/car or at home when going to bed.

As for what happens if cell is out.
    https://www.iridium.com/default.aspx...m/default.aspx
    I got one when overseas and still have it, but haven't got a current provider (which is guess is an issue if I needed it in a hurry)...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    "Help, I've been befallen by intruders and I can't call out.". ��

Somewhat sadly, if I get up in the middle of the night for a "deposit", my gun goes with me. I'll use that to get back to my phone. My wife, on the other hand, is still getting used to keeping her gun with her at all times.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

User Tag List