Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What To Do When You Don’t Have Your Phone

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

What To Do When You Don’t Have Your Phone

Interesting story from Dallas Morning News. A 12-year-old girl was home by herself, when an intruder broke into the house. She had left her phone in the kitchen to charge, which is where the thief made entry. Not being able to call for help, she hid in her room and used her to tablet to FaceTime a friend, whose father called the cops. Happy ending.

I was thinking about something similar just the other day. I often leave my phone in one room (usually, the living room), while I’m off doing something in another. Unfortunately, to get to both the living room, and the alarm panel, you have to pass the front door. So, while bunkering down is easy, I could potentially find myself without the means to call for help from a safe-ish area in the event of a home invasion.

I’m curious if anyone here has thought about this, and came up with solutions. While it’s easy to say, “Just carry your phone”, grabbing my cell every time I get up to use the restroom, or grab a drink of water, is kind of a pain. I would love to hear what y’all've come up with.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Test reply, for forum tracking.

But so long as I'm at it, the simple solution is a cheap prepaid on a charger in your safe room--the only purpose of which is as a backup (in any situation that would call for a backup; losing the primary or dunking the smart phone in the biffy is probably a lot more likely than home invasion, but either way...).

Just one idea. Two is one, and all that. Another idea is a land line; hey, why not? People still tote Ruger Vaqueros in rural areas on occasion, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    But so long as I'm at it, the simple solution is a cheap prepaid on a charger in your safe room--the only purpose of which is as a backup (in any situation that would call for a backup; losing the primary or dunking the smart phone in the biffy is probably a lot more likely than home invasion, but either way...).
    You don't need a prepaid, any cellphone that can turn on can call 911, regardless of whether or not it has a service plan attached to it, as long as it has a signal. Preferably a newer phone, as they will have better location indicators.

I usually keep my phone on me. But I do have guns on either side of the house.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    You don't need a prepaid, any cellphone that can turn on can call 911, regardless of whether or not it has a service plan attached to it, as long as it has a signal.
    That's basically what I was thinking, but I was a tad concerned about the phone holding a charge. I was considering just keeping it plugged in long-term, but I don't know if keeping a battery powered device plugged in for what would likely be years at a time is a good idea.

The phones I have seem to lose a charge after about three weeks of lying around, even when they're off. I thought about removing the battery, and see how long the charge would last then.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Is mine the last household with a landline?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Yes. Yes you are. Do you pay your bill via carrier pigeon?

Anyway, options include:

Alarm key fobs. (You do have a monitored alarm, don't you?)
    Old cell phones
    A landline, if you are Amish
    Nosy neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yes. Yes you are. Do you pay your bill via carrier pigeon?
    Pony Express. The cats kept eating the pigeons...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Nope, and I've got a phone for every important room.

User Tag List