Thread: Pre-Class Practice without Developing Bad Habits?

Pre-Class Practice without Developing Bad Habits?

After a long hiatus from firearms, I recently bought a Glock 17 and a used holster (an RCS Eidolon agency kit - thanks to MD7305). I've never taken any type of a training class before (and plan to attend one eventually). I'd like to do some kind of practice so I don't show up totally incompetent.

Can I do draws/reloads/dry-fire practice without getting bad habits, or should I just go ahead and show up with no skills and no prior practice?

As for what I used to be able to do - I could get most of my shots, slow fire & 2 handed, in the black of a B5 target at my local range (25 yards). That's about it - never did rapid fire or live draws from a holster.

Ask and you shall receive...

http://pistol-training.com/archives/5185

So I can watch some Paul Gomez Youtube videos, follow his instructions on draw/reloading/et al, do the dry fire routine and I'd be (relatively) good to go at my first class? I'm concerned that, without proper instruction, I will not have a good foundation.

For example, self taught full (below parallel) squats - I thought I was doing full squats and had been doing them for years, then I found starting strength, put up a vid on their forums and... holy shit, my form was that bad? Same with kettlebell swings, I was doing kettlebell "squats" until I sought out instruction.

I'd like to say that draw/dry-firing practice isn't as complicated as squats or swings, but honestly I don't know.

I think the most important thing is to be comfortable with your weapon. That doesn't mean already have a 6 second FAST and a fast draw and reload and all that other stuff. I showed up to my first class with zero formal training. But I was VERY comfortable with my gun. I wasn't unsure how it worked or what it felt like to shoot it or how to atleast stuff a mag in it. To many times I have been to classes and there are people there for there first class who look like they've never seen a gun let alone shot/functioned there's. But the guys who have been around guns, have always gone with there buddies a few times plinking and who are COMFORTABLE with there guns are like a sponge. As fast as that information can be taught is as fast as they can soak it up and put it to use.

That's my .02, worth what you paid for it. But if I'm not mistaken I asked this SAME question when I joined. I was already comfortable with my gun and knew the basics of gun saftey/handling. I went to my first class and no one believed it was my first class because I was comfortable with my gun. Hope this makes sense. If not I hope it didn't confuse you too much!

Makes perfect sense, thank you.

You're on the right path.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I think the most important thing is to be comfortable with your weapon. That doesn't mean already have a 6 second FAST and a fast draw and reload and all that other stuff. I showed up to my first class with zero formal training. But I was VERY comfortable with my gun. I wasn't unsure how it worked or what it felt like to shoot it or how to atleast stuff a mag in it. To many times I have been to classes and there are people there for there first class who look like they've never seen a gun let alone shot/functioned there's.
    This has been my experience as well. My first formal firearm instruction was in boot camp. While even the recruits who hadn't touched a gun in their life could be taught to hit well enough to qualify at the range, but watch them try to clear malfunctions. Or POGs with too much time spent since their last qual, watch them try to disassemble/reassemble their rifle. It seems like many people simply do not understand how guns work, even though they're able to load and shoot one. It's too simple and ultimately pointless to give "know how your gun works" as advice though, because people who do will feel insulted and people who don't THINK they do and will also feel insulted.

Either way, OP, I'd get some dummy rounds and practice clearing malfunctions.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I recentally took a vickers tactical class and we had a guy in it who had never fired a gun he was shooting better than alot of the class. Now he may have been gifted but I think alot of it had to do with propper instruction from the get go. He was a blank slate with no bad habbits to unlearn. Based on this example I wouldnt wait go ahead and take a class.

There are two low cost options for action-type pistol work in the Bay Area; Action Pistol Club and Defensive Shooting Club, both in San Jose. I occasionally see some goofy stuff out there, but nothing unsafe.

If you were my kid I'd give you Frank Proctor's pistol DVD to study and drill to in the meantime.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List