Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Temple Index

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The training market is currently saturated, and there are too many trainers trying to carve a niche out for themselves. Because of that, it sometimes seems to me that some of the people who are more recent additions to the training field are making stuff up just to be different. TI reminds me of Sul, in that it may work in certain limited situations, but there are better techniques available. Nonetheless, Sul seems to have gained a foothold as a viable technique. Again, not one of the top trainers that I associate with or have trained with teach or advocate Sul. As it is with TI.
    Hackathorn teaches Sul for moving around people you don't want to muzzle, like the snake drill for example.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Again, not one of the top trainers that I associate with or have trained with teach or advocate Sul. As it is with TI.
    Paul Howe teaches sul as well, for moving around friendlies.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Hackathorn teaches Sul for moving around people you don't want to muzzle, like the snake drill for example.
    That is true, I stand corrected. Ken has done that since I've known him, but he has never pushed it on me. Ken is quite a big guy, and maybe he has never had to deal with a disarm attempt.

Realizing it is difficult to convey some of this stuff online, would it be possible to do a rundown (new thread perhaps) of ready position/movement positions for pistols?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

That is true, I stand corrected. Ken has done that since I've known him, but he has never pushed it on me. Ken is quite a big guy, and maybe he has never had to deal with a disarm attempt.
    What position do you like to use for that type of task? (Hackathorn's snake drill, since that was the example. ) Sorry if you already said and I missed it. On a break from class right now.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Talking about pistols, I keep both hands on the gun, and retract it until my wrists hit my ribs/sternum. I then bend my wrists till the gun is pointed just outside my foot. It is not quite as tight as Sul, but it allows for much better retention, and faster time to a shot as well. Greg Hamilton taught me this 20 years ago, and it has served me very well. I've taught it and drilled it with lots of non english speakers and they all seem to be able to not point their guns at each other as well.

With the snake drill in particular, I basically make a C motion with the gun to avoid the good guys and get my muzzle on target for the next shot. For beginners, I do not recommend this, but when working at speed (not the way Ken runs it in an open class, I'm sure), there isn't really any down time where the gun just sits in a ready position. Not many shooters should be doing it at speed with live humans, so take that fwiw.

Cool, I appreciate the answer SLG. Makes sense, and I bet "not quite as tight as SUL" also translates into keeping the muzzle off your own feet and legs too.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Cool, I appreciate the answer SLG. Makes sense, and I bet "not quite as tight as SUL" also translates into keeping the muzzle off your own feet and legs too.
    You are correct.

Site Supporter
    Talking about pistols, I keep both hands on the gun, and retract it until my wrists hit my ribs/sternum. I then bend my wrists till the gun is pointed just outside my foot. It is not quite as tight as Sul, but it allows for much better retention, and faster time to a shot as well. Greg Hamilton taught me this 20 years ago, and it has served me very well. I've taught it and drilled it with lots of non english speakers and they all seem to be able to not point their guns at each other as well.
    Sounds like exactly what we teach at work. Also a lot like the NRA LE programs " safety circle" position.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    In my class with him; during the snake drill; I think T1 would have resulted in less flagging of the feet and legs of us statues and zero flagging of our heads. Sul does not impress me at all.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List