Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wheelgun leather

LSP552,

Nice, thanks. I too use a river belt. Far superior to the Sam Brown, imo. I actually made mine, at a friend's holster shop, many years ago, and it has now had many different holsters and guns on it. Still trying to find the perfect gun for it:-)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Good stuff so far, but where are the pictures!

I have Sparks for carry around the ranch, but my favorite hunting/field rig is from Von Wringler. I have them for N's as well as Blackhawks, and they work well and are super well made.

I'm not looking for a particular method of carry for a particular revolver, just want to do some window shopping. Lots of good looking revolvers in the threads, I know you guys must have some nice looking leather for them as well.

My one gripe with many traditional field holsters is that they carry the gun too high for me, as well as often having some rake to them. I like straight drop holsters with the stocks held at about my beltline or a little bit above.
    Take a look at the photo I posted in the "New Ruger Redhawk" thread.

I'm on my 4th surprise special from Elmer MacEvoy at the leather arsenal. No website to really speak of, you have to call him on a land line to order. But what a bargain. Elmer was an early protege/employee of Sparks back in the day. He's still in Idaho, and you can still get a killer summer special style IWB for any wheelie for way under one Bennie.

For further endorsement, check out the late P Gomez's comments in this thread, especially post number 2:

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/s...n-IWB-Holsters

Elmer used to have a small website but it looks like it went away.

Pics of your wheelie surprise's with the guns in them?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Drop Wes a line at Privateer Leather. He does great work and at a resonable time and turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Pics of your wheelie surprise's with the guns in them?
    Sure, easy: whenever I get a new holster (or knife, or pistol, blahblah) I snap a pic to rub it in people's noses... Simple as searching around the Mac for a sec. Let's see if I can figure out how to attach these (GPNY & SPNY, FWIW. Oh, and the split-belt speed loader holders were from Andrews custom leather. A bit of a wait for them, but great work...)

As an aside, he can make one with or without the shark fin stabilizer, also straight drop. No idea about the ride height. I can dig it, though. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that my number one method of wheelie carry is a j-frame with a barami hipgrip and a tyler t adaptor...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 07-24-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I am also on the list for placin an order some day with Matt DelFatti that will be a couple of revolver rigs.
    Interesting. You're on a waiting list to place an order; a list for waiting to get on a list, as it were.

I am aware of the guy's reputation, but I have handled several Delfatti rigs, and I gotta say… where's all the hype? Sure, it was top-shelf stuff, no doubt about it. But, IMO, absolutely no better than what you get from Sparks/Kramer/Rosen/et.al.

So what am I missing? What would make a jaded old guy like you even bother with something that is going to take years to acquire, when you can can get something equally good a hell of a lot sooner??? I get that with guns. If one has his heart set on a best-grade Purdey, and can afford one, nothing else will do. But we're talking about HOLSTERS here…

Anyone use a diamond chest rig? How about the clark version?

I am a big fan of the 200AW from Milt Sparks.

Conceals easy enough under a coat/vest and the holster covers the hammer, thus preventing the sharp serrations from shredding jacket liners.

Often in the winter, when I have been out hunting yotes, I will pack a 5" 29, and the 200AW keeps it easily concealed when I come to town (which I try to avoid).

Here is an old school Sparks rig with exposed trigger. It is built for 4" N Frames and was made from a piece of bull hide that had a fair amount of character in the leather.

User Tag List