Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with heat?

Dealing with heat?

This is likely a rookie question but it's one that I haven't solved on my own and Google isn't helping so it's time to ask.

I want to ask those that see a lot of AR's in courses (teaching or taking) and/or routinely run ARs until they are literally so hot you can't touch them what they see as the best way of dealing with heat. I see a lot of AR builds and tons of photo's of AR builds that just leave me wondering if those rifles are ever actually shot. I see things like paracord in the keymod holes on a free floated hand guard. I see people running naked low profile hand guards and wonder just how many mags can you run through that before you can't touch the rifle? 2-3? I can get 50ish rounds off before heat is giving me issues especially with a skinny handguard. This is over the course of a few drills or short courses of fire I'm not just popping off 2 mags.

I'm most interested in real "working" rifles not the photo queens, what actually works to help prolong how many rounds you can fire or how long you can effectively handle the rifle once it's scorching hot? What works? Who makes it? etc. If it's 90+ and the rifle is going to heat up and stay hot what works and what doesn't?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer me.

Gloves are your friend. If you're going to shoot your carbine outdoors in the temps you describe, heat is unavoidable. Even a set of inexpensive Mechanix gloves can greatly enhance your shooting comfort while running a hot carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Gloves are your friend. If you're going to shoot your carbine outdoors in the temps you describe, heat is unavoidable. Even a set of inexpensive Mechanix gloves can greatly enhance your shooting comfort while running a hot carbine.
    ^ this. I like PIG Alpha gloves, can be found for 30-35 on amazon.

I also like the PIG gloves.

Heat is the main reason I have a fore grip on my bad times carbine. I truly prefer not to run a FG, but it is a lot easier to dump a pouch full if you don't have to stick your hand on the hot plate, as it were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post
    This is likely a rookie question but it's one that I haven't solved on my own and Google isn't helping so it's time to ask.

I want to ask those that see a lot of AR's in courses (teaching or taking) and/or routinely run ARs until they are literally so hot you can't touch them what they see as the best way of dealing with heat. I see a lot of AR builds and tons of photo's of AR builds that just leave me wondering if those rifles are ever actually shot. I see things like paracord in the keymod holes on a free floated hand guard. I see people running naked low profile hand guards and wonder just how many mags can you run through that before you can't touch the rifle? 2-3? I can get 50ish rounds off before heat is giving me issues especially with a skinny handguard. This is over the course of a few drills or short courses of fire I'm not just popping off 2 mags.

I'm most interested in real "working" rifles not the photo queens, what actually works to help prolong how many rounds you can fire or how long you can effectively handle the rifle once it's scorching hot? What works? Who makes it? etc. If it's 90+ and the rifle is going to heat up and stay hot what works and what doesn't?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer me.
    Gloves. I prefer Mechanix. Cheap and effective. Also keeps you from tearing your hands up shooting a few thousand rounds and manipulating the weapon a corresponding amount over a couple of days.

Thanks guys,

I've ordered both, big difference in sizing between companies for those. The Mechanix I ordered are much more heavily built than the PIGs, I'm looking for as much insulation as I can find and those looked like the ticket. The PIGs look like they may work well with a handgun too.

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post
    Thanks guys,

I've ordered both, big difference in sizing between companies for those. The Mechanix I ordered are much more heavily built than the PIGs, I'm looking for as much insulation as I can find and those looked like the ticket. The PIGs look like they may work well with a handgun too.
    Let us know what u think. I've used both and like both, I think you will also

Between relays, if it's feasible pop the bolt open on the rifle. I haven't put a timer too it, but a rifle with an open bolt seems to cool off quite a bit faster than one with a close bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Between relays, if it's feasible pop the bolt open on the rifle. I haven't put a timer too it, but a rifle with an open bolt seems to cool off quite a bit faster than one with a close bolt.
    interesting, air flow maybe?

*and the barrel needs to be in a somewhat vertical orientation. Somebody once explained it to me that the opening the bolt creates some sort of "chimney cooling effect" where hot air rises and draws in cool air. He probably read that on the internet, it sounded smart, so it must be true. I don't know why, but it seems to work.
    Last edited by Paul; 07-25-2015 at 08:26 AM.

User Tag List