Thread: FSS Apex trigger

FSS Apex trigger

I just had my second short range session with an M&P 9, Pro 5 inch, with a 4 pound FSS trigger installed by Randy Lee. All I can say is, wow. Prior to yesterday, my first range session with the FSS trigger, I have never shot an open carry FASTest quicker than 4.3 seconds. Yesterday, I had a couple of 4.1's, and today, shot two below 4.0, including a clean run at 3.78. I also saw several FAST body splits at .19, where I have never had a FAST split below .22, with the Apex DC trigger, LEM or Glock trigger.

As a reference, earlier in the session, I shot a few FASTests with my 9mm P2000, as my buddy is just getting one, and my best time was 4.5, the results seemed much less consistent, and it took a lot more effort on my part to run the P2000 than the FSS M&P, with splits in the .25 range.

I think the FSS trigger, on an M&P without a thumb safety, maybe too short for my taste for carry in anything other than a strong side OWB holster, but should work fine with a thumb safety model.

Nice review but I thought Randy recommended the FSS for competition use only?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I initially read that, which limited my interest in it, but subsequently saw where Randy Lee discussed using a combination of springs that resulted in a trigger weight suitable for carry. The take up is short enough, even with a heavier weight pull, that I think it ideally would be paired with a thumb safety model for carry. In any event, it is no shorter than a 1911 trigger.

Run it with about a 5 lbs trigger and ambi-safety--the M&P is then no different than a duty 1911.

I have an Apex FSS in an M&P 9mm FS gun.

Without the extra power trigger and possibly sear spring, I didn't feel comfortable with mine for carry.

Using all of the included springs, or even just the trigger spring and slightly tweaking the angle on the shepherd's crook in the trigger bar made mine an acceptable weight for carry for me, even without an ambi safety.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I have an Apex FSS in an M&P 9mm FS gun.

Without the extra power trigger and possibly sear spring, I didn't feel comfortable with mine for carry.

Using all of the included springs, or even just the trigger spring and slightly tweaking the angle on the shepherd's crook in the trigger bar made mine an acceptable weight for carry for me, even without an ambi safety.
    What weight did your trigger come out too? Do you EDC with the Apex FSS?

I have the Apex FSS kit in my m&p 9c with thumb safety, the kit was installed with the regular springs which gave a measured weight of 3lbs even, I will probably swap out the springs and measure it again, it is pretty light at 3lbs with little to no pretravel/overtravel.
    Chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
    What weight did your trigger come out too? Do you EDC with the Apex FSS?
    Mine is between 4.5 and 4.6 lbs. depending on the pull on the trigger gauge at the time, with the springs installed. With just the extra power sear or trigger spring, it was right around 4 lbs.

I EDC this pistol IWB strong side. It's not much different than EDC'ing a Glock with a minus connector, aside from removing some of the pre-travel. I feel no need for a thumb safety with mine with the stronger Apex springs installed. Without them, absolutely, as mine measured in the low 3 lb. range with stock springs.

We are diminished
    For an AD to occur, two things must happen: enough pressure must be applied to the trigger, and it must be applied over an adequate distance. Putting one on an M&P without a safety is dramatically cutting the margin of error on that second factor.

I wouldn't do it, and I'd be uncomfortable having a student in class with such a setup.

Pre-travel shouldn't be a hindrance to good shooting, anyway, if you're performing a proper press-out and resetting the trigger in recoil.

trigger break point

concurr.

used to be a 1911 only trigger guy. Since switching to a M&P with DCAEK, I don't notice any difference in my splits, and have decided that I like the long pre-travel....as long as it has a short reset it makes no difference in my ability to shoot fast or accurately.

The only reason I'd be tempted to get the FSS is to move the break point farther forward, not because I hate pre-travel, just to make the trigger reach a little longer. And then I'd only do it with a thumb safety model gun, and treat it like a 1911.

User Tag List