Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak carry?

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Then I think the solution you mentioned in your first post (dry bag) is probably your best option if you're looking for something that's actually waterproof. That obviously comes with the understanding that access/presentation will be limited significantly but it'll offer complete protection for the pistol. And floatation. And is relatively inexpensive. If you don't already have one, be wary when shopping b/c some "dry bags" are designed more for backpacking and the like and don't always deal with actual submersion well.
    t
    That's my thought. Any recommendations and a true 'dry' bag?

I'm willing to sacrifice speed of presentation in favor of waterproofness while on the water. Once I get on shore, I'll simply pull the fanny pack out of the dry bag and strap it on, but I don't anticipate needing a quick draw on the middle of the lake. Then again, one never knows.

There are a number of good products out there but I have a couple of Seal-line dry bags that I've used for years without issue, so I feel comfortable recommending them. Bombproof and reasonably priced. They're "rubberized" and as a result pretty stiff, but IME that adds some to their ability to protect contents and deal with hard use. They may be a bit overkill here, but they're what I use for exactly your stated purpose.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealli...-bags/category

I have the Baja models in a couple different sizes (10 and 20 liter). I might go with a 5 liter if you're just going to use it for the pistol and limited other gear. I don't have one in that size though. If ya click the product then the 'specs' tab they give you all the actual dimensions and breakdown.

t

There are a number of good products out there but I have a couple of Seal-line dry bags that I've used for years without issue, so I feel comfortable recommending them. Bombproof and reasonably priced. They're "rubberized" and as a result pretty stiff, but IME that adds some to their ability to protect contents and deal with hard use. They may be a bit overkill here, but they're what I use for exactly your stated purpose.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealli...-bags/category

I have the Baja models in a couple different sizes (10 and 20 liter). I might go with a 5 liter if you're just going to use it for the pistol and limited other gear. I don't have one in that size though. If ya click the product then the 'specs' tab they give you all the actual dimensions and breakdown.
    I picked up one of their 10L "Black Canyon" dry bags at REI this week. I've got some cordage and carabiners to affix it to the kayak as well.

I looked at a 'waterproof' fanny pack at REI as well, but it didn't look like it would survive a submersion, nor be particularly quick to draw from compared to the conventional dry bag.

Good choice. It should work well for you.

What is a paddling carry thread without some action pics!

Eddy on the Grand...

Some old skool long boat surfing on the Colorado at flood stage…

Little play boating/freestyle:

And the gear train doing some dry bag submersion testing…

t

Simms makes good stuff. We used this or a predecessor model:

http://www.simmsfishing.com/dry-creek-hip-pack.html

Sent from my iPad
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Man, it's been a long time since I hit white water. I used to raft the New River in WV, and even managed to hit the Ocoee back in '96 just ahead of the Atlanta games, where I saw a German tourist nearly drown in a hydraulic. Our raft was paddling like mad trying to get upstream to save him, but we couldn't make any headway at all against the current. Fortunately, the next raft down the river saw his helmet bobbing in the maelstrom, and managed to get him on board before he drowned. Poor guy spent the rest of the trip hugging himself in the center of the boat, muttering 'Nein, nein!' every time someone asked if he wanted to paddle.

What is a paddling carry thread without some action pics!

Eddy on the Grand...

Some old skool long boat surfing on the Colorado at flood stage…

Little play boating/freestyle:

And the gear train doing some dry bag submersion testing…

t

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Man, it's been a long time since I hit white water. I used to raft the New River in WV, and even managed to hit the Ocoee back in '96 just ahead of the Atlanta games, where I saw a German tourist nearly drown in a hydraulic. Our raft was paddling like mad trying to get upstream to save him, but we couldn't make any headway at all against the current. Fortunately, the next raft down the river saw his helmet bobbing in the maelstrom, and managed to get him on board before he drowned. Poor guy spent the rest of the trip hugging himself in the center of the boat, muttering 'Nein, nein!' every time someone asked if he wanted to paddle.

I spent a bit of time down in the Summersville area back in the early 90s. Mostly climbing at the New River Gorge. Pretty cutting edge back then with lots of new route development going on. But got to spend some time paddling on the New and the Gauley also. Those were good times! One could find lots of malarky going on the weeks around Bridge Day!

http://officialbridgeday.com/new-river-gorge/

I spent a bit of time down in the Summersville area back in the early 90s. Mostly climbing at the New River Gorge. Pretty cutting edge back then with lots of new route development going on. But got to spend some time paddling on the New and the Gauley also. Those were good times! One could find lots of malarky going on the weeks around Bridge Day!

http://officialbridgeday.com/new-river-gorge/
    I wanted to give the Gauley a run, but I couldn't get the rest of the Scout troop to agree to it. The New kind of freaked them out.

When I did the Ocoee, the grizzled old coot of a guide told us that every one of us would swim that day. He kept his promise. Swimming a class IV rapid was pretty awesome when I was 15. Looking back on it now, it was ludicrous.

I did the ocoee a while back. It was horrible. Almost died. God was kind enough to not let me die and I do not plan on ever doing it again.

User Tag List