Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kayak carry?

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I spent a bit of time down in the Summersville area back in the early 90s. Mostly climbing at the New River Gorge. Pretty cutting edge back then with lots of new route development going on. But got to spend some time paddling on the New and the Gauley also. Those were good times! One could find lots of malarky going on the weeks around Bridge Day!

http://officialbridgeday.com/new-river-gorge/
    BTW, did you ever climb up at Seneca Rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    BTW, did you ever climb up at Seneca Rocks?

I've spent some time at Seneca Rocks, although it was years ago. More than I'm happy admitting. If you want it in perspective, it was while the Gendarme was still standing.

I've spent some time at Seneca Rocks, although it was years ago. More than I'm happy admitting. If you want it in perspective, it was while the Gendarme was still standing.
    Late 70's for me at Seneca Rocks, late 80's at New River Gorge.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That's probably not much earlier than the last time I was last there. I knew the guy who used to run the "Gendarme" climbing shop there in town. We went out to visit for a few days, had a great time, but I never got to climb up there.
    Last edited by LHS; 07-26-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Double post

This method might work for something.

I ended up just tossing my fanny pack in the dry bag, and carabinering to the kayak's tie down straps. As you will see, this was a good choice.

Adventure!

Today we took out some rental kayaks and paddled around the shoreline. I was in a solo kayak, wife and boy in a tandem. The solo kayak was narrow and had little back support, so I hated it. After we got to a canyon, we floated in the lake and ate lunch, and switched boats.

Unfortunately, there was apparently a crack in the tandem kayak, just above the waterline. My fat ass put it below the new waterline. So, after the boy and I got about fifty yards from shore, I noticed we were sinking. Quickly. The two of us abandoned ship, but were able to flip the kayak back upright. I boosted the boy back inside, but there was no way I was going to be getting back in. Also fortunately, I had put my pistol, phone, wallet and rental papers in the dry bag, and clipped that onto the tie down bungies, so they were fine.

We spent the next two and a half hours with me floating in the lake while holding on to the bow of the stricken kayak and the stern of the good one, and my wife towed us back to the marina. The boy paddled the whole time, and while it didn't help much with propulsion, it made him feel better. When we finally got back to the marina, I beached the cracked boat on the launch ramp while wife went to return the good kayak. Soon, a recovery barge came and picked us up and to us to the docks.

Everyone on the staff was very apologetic and seemed confused that we were all laughing about it. They expected us to be upset, apparently, but it was a fun interlude. Nobody got hurt, nothing got lost except one piece of shade cloth that I had had lying on my feet, and it gave us a story for posterity. We told them we'd be back tomorrow morning for another go.

My prediction that this would be akin to the Griswolds going boating was proven correct

User Tag List