Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak carry?

Kayak carry?

I'm going on vacation soon, and it will involve some boating/kayaking. I would like to avoid submerging my pistol if the kayak overturns. Are there any dedicated options for waterproof carry? My initial thought was to simply put the pistol in my Safepacker and then toss that into a dry bag with a strap to secure the bag to my body, but I figured I'd see if there was anything more purpose built that would allow a faster presentation.

Hill People gear kit bag. Put the gun in plastic inside the kitbag if you really don't want it to get wet. What gun are you carrying that getting it wet matters? You are kayaking, after all.

Definitely agree on the HPG Kit Bag. It's the best option I've found for hiking and other outdoor activities.

Not sure the HPG bag will nicely coexist with the PFD.

Taadski?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not sure the HPG bag will nicely coexist with the PFD.

Taadski?
    That's true. My first inclination was to say a fanny pack, because that's what I wore the last time I went kayaking (a long time ago). HPG has pretty much replaced a fanny pack for me now though, and I forgot about the PFD.

Thirds on the HPG Kit Bag if for on person carry. I use this when fishing as it's easy to disguise the HPG KB as a fishing rig. Most of the time I stash it in the pfd pocket or carry in a pelican dry box and holster up prior to hitting dry land. I'm in a kayak about 20 hours a week for work.

On the pfd fit, I use a snubby and a recon with no issues over the pfd. It's usually an Astral V eight but works on the Astral Ronny and our Extrasport universal fits also. Haven't tried it with a Sea Wolf or YTV.

I canoe carry my Glock in a PFD pocket with one of those Dale Fricke trigger covers tied to the drain grommet in the pocket. I should probably get a lanyard and not just rely on the velcro.

I'd utilize a lanyard as well...real easy to lose a gun forever in the water

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Hill People gear kit bag. Put the gun in plastic inside the kitbag if you really don't want it to get wet. What gun are you carrying that getting it wet matters? You are kayaking, after all.
    Did you take a picture of me in the water last year? Because that's basically what I did....
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Did you take a picture of me in the water last year? Because that's basically what I did....
    Were you the well endowed blonde in the pink bikini?

User Tag List