Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Educate me on Colt Detective Special

So how does the Colt compare to a S&W K-frame snub?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    So how does the Colt compare to a S&W K-frame snub?
    It's a little easier to carry, but I think a 3" round-butt fixed-sight K might be the best CCW revolver there is. Small enough to conceal easily, but enough sight radius to be reasonably easy to shoot well and a full-length ejector rod stroke.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I've owned two and carried them a lot. I also shot them and dry fired them DA too much and both went badly out of time within a couple thousand rounds. Their lockwork is, to my understanding, not as robust as a Smith or Ruger design. I don't think they were ever designed for heavy serious training with them. Like a lot of fine old gun designs.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I own a Colt Cobra and have owned a Detective Special as well, both being the shrouded barrel variants. The D frame is more sensitive to mishandling, rough usage or being dropped than a S&W J/K/L/ or N frame. They’re more prone to have their timing affected than the S&W, still I would prefer the Colt for a belt gun or over coat pocket carry to the J frame. Of course if I had my druthers S&W would still be making the M-12 in a 2” barrel round or square butt for the informed revolver shooter.
    Last edited by TNWNGR; 09-15-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a 2" round-butt Model 12 and a 4" round-butt Model 12. For those not familiar, these are aluminum frame K-frames. They give the light weight of an airweight gun, with 6 rounds and good sights. Of course, since they are highly desirable, S&W quit making them years ago. The only reason I use a Cobra instead is that I wear my BUG on the ankle, and the Cobra is just a bit smaller.

colt

I have my grandmothers never fired with the tag still on it.that I'm going to guess is about 20-30 yrs old.its real nice and I'm trying to decide if I want to shoot it or not.

Cdunn, decide if you want it as a collectable or as a shooter. If you want to collect, do not shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdunn View Post
    I have my grandmothers never fired with the tag still on it.that I'm going to guess is about 20-30 yrs old.its real nice and I'm trying to decide if I want to shoot it or not.
    Impressive.. but did you clean the gun? it might not work anymore because of the dirt...

buy taser gun, Bo Peep cumin' from my stun gun.

Let's not forget the 3 in. Detective Special. This seems to be to be a great little revolver with a much better feel in the hand and balance then its short-barreled and far more numerous brother. This has been my "walking in the woods" gun for some seasons now and I really like it a lot.

Name:  void(0).jpg
Views: 292
Size:  20.2 KB

User Tag List