Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to smash open a car window?

These methods of entry by using a pressure cuff, popping the lock, ect are inappropriate as opposed to busting out the window.

It's a matter of life or death, and time matters.

Bust the fucking glass.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

What is the best way to smash open a car window?

I once used a Surefire with a strike bezel to break a rear passenger window on a Honda Civic. One swing in the corner of the window did the trick.

ETA: it was a Surefire E2D incandescent.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    These methods of entry by using a pressure cuff, popping the lock, ect are inappropriate as opposed to busting out the window.

Bust the fucking glass.

I dont know what their criteria was, but I recall seeing Phoenix FD attempting to open vehicles. At some point of visible distress they do just break the window out, but will also try to open the car first if its not advanced too far yet.

Any reason a crowbar wouldn't do the trick? Maybe it's because I grew up playing Half Life, but I've always kept one around just in case.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Fire Department likes to use automatic center punches on the corner of exterior side glass, and a sawzall for windshields and safety glass after they punch an initial hole.

It takes very little force to break a side window given a very hard, sharp point and a proper placement of force.

I carry a gerber impromptu pen at work, it has a striker builtin and it works well as long as you hit the edge of a window.

ASP baton suck for windows....the attachments gor glassbreaking you can buy do not however.

Center punches seem to be the best way to get the job done.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Bust the fucking glass.
    He was talking on the context of locking himself out.

He discussed drilling a hole in his roof, using a metal rod to open the lock, and having it repaired by a body shop.

I offered a less destructive way to do that.

That's the context.

At the end of the day, nearly all commercially available window punches do the trick. In a pinch we can improvise by beating the glass into submission.

The device the OP inquired about is cheap, (buy 2!), readily available, small and light enough to be put on a keychain/throw in a pocket and, most importantly, is extremely efficient and easy to use.

If you lock yourself out in a non emergency situation try a pressure cuff and rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many good suggestions here. In a pinch you can break off a windshield wiper at the pivot. On the end of the wiper where it attached is a ball. You can use that to break a window. As said many times, a corner is your aim point.

Thanks all!

I knew the folks here would know how to do this

I'll be ordering a couple of those Rescu Me widgets for the vehicles next Amazon order I put in.

User Tag List