Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to smash open a car window?

That's a great tool that I've used 100s of times. A 10 year old could effectively use it. A gentle push against the glass and it pops.

Without the proper tools, on non safety glass, the key is PSI. Large object impact areas are worse. Sometimes a hammer won't do it. If a hammer is what you have use the smallest head or the claw.

If a nearby car has a metal antenna (fewer and fewer these days), snap it off and hold it flat, lengthwise, against the window with the tip in a low corner of the glass Support hand holds it flat about a foot from tip and strong hand pulls it back. Let it go and it whips down and shatters the glass.

Hammers aren't automatic openers - http://youtu.be/wbOF11mQTjs

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Just watching the evening news tonight, with the scorching heat across the country. Up comes a news story about a child left in a car; the video footage shows a group of good samaritans attempting to crack the driver side window.

It's not clear to me if they were using a tool, but it did occur to me that I could ask ya'll your thoughts.

Assuming it is important to get air to a locked car to rescue a child or maybe even animal, what would be the best way to do that?

Are these tools that you see advertised effective when used by the average civilian (assume for the sake of argument I am the average civilian).

I saw this tool come up in my Amazon suggested items recently, and wondered if I should buy a couple of these for emergency use?

http://www.amazon.com/resqme-Origina.../dp/B000IE0EZO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Resqme should work fine. They also make a hammer type with integrated seatbelt cutter.

At the FD we use a spring loaded punch.

A car antenna will also work in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I saw this tool come up in my Amazon suggested items recently, and wondered if I should buy a couple of these for emergency use?
    http://www.amazon.com/resqme-Origina.../dp/B000IE0EZO
    I know for a fact that the resQme works for popping side and back windows. In the instructions it also mentions to press it against the window near a bottom corner. Super simple to use. It also has a seat belt strap cutter in it.

As mentioned, attack the corners...not the middle. Screw Drivers or anything else between the window and the door near the corner will break it rather quickly. Spark plugs work well when thrown into the window. A couple of our guys carry these and swear by them.

https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum10956.php

I have one of the car hammer things with pointed ends and seatbelt cutter but have never used it.

I've thought that if the tools were on hand, drilling a hole in the roof large enough to put a rod through (3/8" hole, 1/4" rod) and push the door unlock button was probably the least expensive way in. A piece of tape would cover the hole until fixed by a body shop. Headliner would have a hole though.

Some car makes can have a copy of the key made by a local dealer with the car VIN number with a phone call and they'll deliver it. I know Nissan can. It took about 20-30 minutes when I saw it done though.

After having locked myself out several times, I decided that carrying 1 or 2 extra copies of my key was the smartest and cheapest way to get in if I locked myself out. I dont keep all my keys bundles together for several reasons. Usually have 3 rings on me, including the single vehicle key with remote. NEVER give a jacker your house key or gas key. I also never leave insurance or registration docs in the vehicle, always in my wallet.

The most fun, to me anyway, is snapping the car antenna against the window.

It's a good practice with the spring loaded punches to wear gloves. The first time I used one I did not wear gloves and caught some glass as it busted. Saved the kid, who wasn't really in mortal danger, but looked kind of stupid dripping blood afterward.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

This is even less invasive. Worst thing is maybe a few scratches on the B post and inside of doorframe.

With effort, a BP cuff and coat hanger will work.

https://youtu.be/I36M4jaPXpg

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I've thought that if the tools were on hand, drilling a hole in the roof large enough to put a rod through (3/8" hole, 1/4" rod) and push the door unlock button was probably the least expensive way in. A piece of tape would cover the hole until fixed by a body shop. Headliner would have a hole though.

I've gotten into a couple lockouts with a bent piece of wire, and removing the lower weather strip of the window. Has to be the old fashioned button on the top edge of the door type though.

Holy crap, I had no idea about the spark plug thing...

I imagine a chunk of ceramic tile would work fine too.

-Rob

User Tag List