Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to smash open a car window?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Laminated glass will do its job.

So, no....a ResQme or other punch will not be effective against it.

Window tint isn't very strong. You'll be able to breach the window unless it's a security film.
    I came out of a resturant one nigh to find my tinted back window had been shot with a bb gun. The window was shattered but the tint held the pieces in place. I drove it like that for a few days until I could get the window replaced.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

https://www.jtacticalsolutions.com/c...quet-pouch-2-0 This could work but I'd imagine it being cumbersome 99.9% of the time (until you actually need it)

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    My sister was just involved in a head on collision with air bag deployment. Fortunately a family member was following her when it occurred and was able to get my sister and both of the kids out of the vehicle. Her door was jammed and she couldn't open it.
    What I would like to find is a seatbelt mounted pouch with a flap to keep the tool in the pouch and wings to wrap around the seatbelt and velcro to itself.
    I have found tools that have a mounting bracket that is secured to a flat surface with two sided tape and as mentioned earlier in the thread a clip to hold the resqme to a visor but my faith in those to stay in place during a collision is not very high.

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    https://www.jtacticalsolutions.com/c...quet-pouch-2-0 This could work but I'd imagine it being cumbersome 99.9% of the time (until you actually need it)
    I agree it looks cumbersome. That mounts across the belt, what I envision is in line with the belt. I think that would work with some modifications. Thanks for posting it.

Im thinking the Resque looks hard to hold for seat belt cutting. The gerber cutter in conjunction with something like this.
    StatGear SuperVizor XT Auto Escape Tool, Black with sunvisor holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RNLARJI...ing=UTF8&psc=1

What I dont know is will the breaker on the Gerber work easily or is a spring loaded punch better.
    Last edited by UNK; 06-24-2021 at 11:46 AM.

I've got a ResquMe attached to my headrest in my car.

I'm also curious about these:

https://sapgear.com/products/gtfo-wrist-strap
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Gerber Strap Cutter, Black [22-01944] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PTGOKA...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have this setup?

Is there a reason that people don’t just unbuckle the seat belt? Of all the parts of a car likely to be destroyed in a crash, the buckle on the typical seatbelt has to be at the bottom of the list.

Don’t get me wrong, I love overspending on sharps that I don’t need, but I think I’m missing something here.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Is there a reason that people don’t just unbuckle the seat belt? Of all the parts of a car likely to be destroyed in a crash, the buckle on the typical seatbelt has to be at the bottom of the list.

Don’t get me wrong, I love overspending on sharps that I don’t need, but I think I’m missing something here.
    Ive *heard* that the seat belt can jam during a crash. I have no idea if that is true or not. It is a military issued tool Ive seen surplus ones for sale.

And in the video above your post the guy states the gerber is the one his son was issued.
    A coworkers Son was Driving a humvee somewhere in the ME and their convoy was attacked. During the evasive maneuvers his Humvee rolled. I assumed this tool is for that type scenario but I dont know that for a fact.
    Last edited by UNK; 06-24-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

It might depend on whether the buckle is under tension. Not an expert; one datapoint: another fellow and I once wriggled into an overturned car to extract a semi-conscious lady. Since she was hanging upside down from the seatbelt it was pretty hard to get the buckle to work. It was a wicked hot day and I, in a mistake I haven't repeated, had switched to shorts and left my knife in my jeans. I sent my wife sprinting back to our car to get a knife while we continued to struggle with the buckle; eventually he lifted the lady while I worked the buckle and we got her out about the time my wife brought the knife. Modern cars have pyro devices that tension the belts when the airbags deploy - dunno if that tensioning is temporary or not.

[1]'wriggled' because the roof had been smushed; the windows were half the size they were before the crash. We didn't wait for the firemen because it was a rural area, there was gas leaking everywhere, and an RN who had stopped suggested that the lady, while otherwise unresponsive, was moving enough that the risk of spinal injury was lower than leaving her in the car. I remember laying in the gas inside the car and hearing something sizzle as it dripped on the hot exhaust.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Take an old spark plug. Break up the porcelain, put it in a little plastic box. Keep it in your car. When you need to break out a side window, take a handful of the porcelain and throw it at the window. Boom. Breaks the window. Criminals do it all the time.
    This. Super quiet too. Night time auto booster special.

User Tag List