Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to smash open a car window?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I assume that those Rescue thingies are not a single use items? Ive read some reports about failure to function and I'd want to test it before placing it in my cars.
    The ResQme's are multi-use items, although I'd imagine it'd be really hard to sharpen the strap cutter. Are you referring to those failing? If so, could you provide some links, I'd like to see.

A small number of reviews on the Amazon suggest instances of a faulty function. Most reviews are positive.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

So, my Resqme thingy arrived by the nice brown truck a few days ago:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCRS0I/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I chose yellow, for ever since I started in Rescue Diver class ages ago, my safety gear is always yellow.

Anyways, I used it to try on an old piece of shelving, and managed to produce several very impressive spike-shaped indentations in the wood. I attached it to my key-ring, so I have it to hand now (the Civic has one of those new fangled systems where you don't stick the key into anything, you just have to have it in your pocket) anytime I need it.

Pretty happy to have this thing. Many thanks for the advice to all ya'll do this sort of thing for a living.

Rich

Damn, this sucks.

This morning at about 5am, two local youth died after their Camry plunged into Tampa Bay here on the Courtney Campbell Causeway. Local news had a follow up how the FD advised keeping a tool like this in your car in the event of.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/money/c...get-out-safely
    Last edited by RJ; 07-31-2015 at 04:45 PM.

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Houd.../dp/B00TWWBBSW

I got it on closeout at a gunshop since the light didn't work. I keep it in the center console where the expensive phone insert (if you were dumb enough to buy it) would normally go.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Anyone ever tried the Bust a Cap line? They sell caps you can install at the end of batons/flashlights with the little window breaking point at the end.

Would the Resqme be effective on a newer model car with laminated glass and also window tint?

Quote Originally Posted by PT Doc View Post
    Would the Resqme be effective on a newer model car with laminated glass and also window tint?
    Laminated glass will do its job.

So, no....a ResQme or other punch will not be effective against it.

Window tint isn't very strong. You'll be able to breach the window unless it's a security film.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Any point pressure impact device, ie ResQme or center punch, will not work on laminated auto glass. We use a Glassmaster extrication hand saw for laminated glass. Highly discourage the use of sawzalls or anything that causes the glass to become powderized. It's extremely dangerous to inhale the fine particles of glass. Nobody in the industry has come up with a good tool to use for self extrication on laminated autoglass. We are running into the same issue when it comes to cutting Boron reinforcements in the auto body, all current extrication cutters except for the TNT BFC 33 struggle to cut newer cars. Sorry for the tangent.

My sister was just involved in a head on collision with air bag deployment. Fortunately a family member was following her when it occurred and was able to get my sister and both of the kids out of the vehicle. Her door was jammed and she couldn't open it.
    What I would like to find is a seatbelt mounted pouch with a flap to keep the tool in the pouch and wings to wrap around the seatbelt and velcro to itself.
    I have found tools that have a mounting bracket that is secured to a flat surface with two sided tape and as mentioned earlier in the thread a clip to hold the resqme to a visor but my faith in those to stay in place during a collision is not very high.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List