Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Whole House Water Filter System Is An Evil S.O.B.

My Whole House Water Filter System Is An Evil S.O.B.

I swear the damn thing is possessed. Either the filter won't mate up with the standpipe, the O-ring, (lubricated), isn't seated just so, or the threads aren't mating properly...but it's always...(okay, almost always), a friggin' adventure.

And then there's the evil red button to purge air as the canister fills with water. Spawn of Satan.

Yeah, that's what I was doing this afternoon...turning a 15 minute project into 30 minutes or more.

When it works right on the very first go, I can't help but check it 500 times over the next day or two. Not trusting it to go along quietly.

One of these days...bang, zoom, to the Moon, Alice!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I hear you brother. I hate mine too. Our well sucks and makes a lot of sediment so it needs extra attention, too. (It’s on this weekends chore list, actually)

Worrying about leaks, I rigged up a drip pan under mine. It’s just a small clear plastic container and I can check it easily and notice if any drips are accumulating after I’ve changed it or if I’m in the same closet messing with the softener system. Also keeps me from making a mess when I take out the old filter and when I’m venting via the red button of doom, too. Were I a bit more creative I’d fix a line to it and route it to a drain, or put in a sensor. Or just make it so it drips into the garage where I’d notice.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I meant to buy a tray to put under it and forgot...so this time I took a couple of plastic bags and put them around the canister as I removed it...before I dumped it in a bucket. (My canister sits atop a couple of 2x4's on the floor.)

That went okay, just minimal spillage out of the top and easily wiped up on the concrete slab floor...but of course it was only on the reassembly after cleaning the canister out with water and bleach etc that the Gorgons showed up to strut their stuff and do their evil.

Our well and water is very good, no complaints on that end...and having the whole house filter really seems to help keep sediment and iron from messing up water related appliances.

Why not a water softener?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Why not a water softener?

If you're asking me...we have good water here, never felt the need. I can get a year out of a six month rated 3M Filtrete 5 micron filter.

And I've never had the filter need to be changed due to water pressure dropping.

So, maybe it's a good thing, but not something that was recommended when my water / well was tested.

Our house is 25 years old so no system was installed when it was built. The well water here isn't drinkable so many people here just use one of these.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/produc...xoCPJ8QAvD_BwE

It takes a few minutes everyday to fill it up but the water is drinkable. We use the unfiltered water for everything except cooking and drinking.

If our water supply is interrupted from the next earthquake, which is a thing here, we can still filter water.....maybe.

Just about everything that gets built here now has earthquake building codes, especially water lines.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-26-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

You people are losing sight of the fact that my whole house filtration system is an EVIL SOB.

Demonic. Miserable. Soul sucking.

There, I said it. Don't come to me with your high falutin' water softener and other mamby pamby 1st world matters.

Has your significant other ever told you you're doing it wrong?

I dealt with one of those for ten years, give or take. The person who had showed me how to do it said that the red button is only pressed at the beginning of the process, to break the seal. I never once used the red button on refilling.

Maybe I was doing it wrong. If there was a manual, I didn't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Has your significant other ever told you you're doing it wrong?

I dealt with one of those for ten years, give or take. The person who had showed me how to do it said that the red button is only pressed at the beginning of the process, to break the seal. I never once used the red button on refilling.

Maybe I was doing it wrong. If there was a manual, I didn't read it.
    I actually do have the manual, such as it is.

It tells you to turn the valve a quarter turn, allowing the water to slowly fill the canister, then press the red button to release any trapped air, and finally, continue turning the valve to the fully on position. (Of course, maybe they're the ones recommending doing it wrong.)

In my experience, if I don't actuate the red button, water will seep out into the trough of the cap, needing to be sopped up with a towel until it either eventually stops or the red button is pressed to get the air out. (I usually depress it with a towel to avoid too much spray.)

Regardless, if the red button doesn't get you, the standpipe, o-ring or threads will.

Gremlins!

Well, I'm glad I never read the manual, or I may have dreaded the task even more than I did. Thankfully, it's in the rear-view mirror.

I think you're on the right track here...go around the house talking it up all day, then wrestle it into submission, and reward yourself with a beer in your comfy chair.

User Tag List