Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Precision rifle

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It was an average of 5 consecutive 5 shot groups repeated with 3 different types of ammo.

You must be really lucky, because I rarely see any of the above mentioned factory rifles perform that well, especially when using a bipod. Accuracy aside, I think it's awesome that Ruger is selling a rifle, with a street price closer to a nicer chassis, that takes AR barrels and furniture and has a magwell that can take both SR25 pattern and AICS mags
    What have you seen them perform?

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Seriously.

Before learning of this rifle I had little interest In long range precision guns as I simply couldn't afford to do so much as think about them.

This rifle changes that.
    Now I really feel like I stepped into an alternate reality....

Mel on Snipercentral stated his example of a 700 SPS Tac is solid sub .5 MOA, with a regular street price of over $600. Granted, that's an exceptional example and not what most report, as shooters will most commonly see .5 to 3/4...which is still exceptionally impressive comapred to the Ruger since it's a few hundred bucks cheaper, even as low as $550 if you check gunbroker. He tested the 700 SPS Varmint as a .75 MOA rifle, also around the same price. I've seen such performance on demand, and consistent, from a friends 700 Police, as well. He stated the 700 VTR is one of the worst examples of a Remington heavy barreled rifle he's tested, with an average .858" group. The average group he got from a Savage 10 FCP McMillan was .682", with prices comparable to this Ruger. The Savage 10FCP with an HS Precision stock can be had for a grand as well, and I don't imagine it performs any worse.

Tikka T3 Tactical? .625" average, and you're able to get them for $1200 without much effort.

Other than that, I don't know what to say.

I get that some shooters may find it attractive to have PMAG compatibility with an 7.62 AR if they own one...or the other tactical doodads on the rifle....but I don't get the enthusiasm over the rifle as if it's doing something never done before with accuracy in its price range.

It's simply not true. Well documented, and not an opinion.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-19-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Pretty much like this: http://8541tactical.com/budget%20pre...%20article.php

Sniper Central looks to be using 3 shot groups, so I don't think that is comparable.

Do you know what they shot with the replacement stock?

Site Supporter
    Do you know what they shot with the replacement stock?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQUwzEqvQc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQUwzEqvQc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for sharing his channel. Good stuff.

I'm not seeing how his review of the rifle is really supporting your point of view, though.

Even with the replacement stock, it's still a sub $800 rifle that he personally endorsed as being acceptable for precision rifle matches.

Nice to see a company thinking and listening to the customer. Too bad it doesn't come in magnum calibers. I'd like to see it in .300WM or even .300WSM. I'm pretty much done with 15lb .308 precision bolt guns as .308 ARs have proven to be reliable and the same weight as well as being more versatile. Now a short, 7-8lb (with optics/sling) .308 or .260 practical type bolt gun is another story altogether...

I don't need another precision rifle at this time, but the feature set is very impressive for the price. If the quality/durability/performance lasts (as I imagine it will, but you never know) I think it would make a nice setup. I have not talked to him about this so I cannot ensure its accuracy, but I have it on good authority that Lowlight has been shooting this gun for over a month now and thinks very highly of it.

The actual moa capability of the gun is not that important to me, within reason. Plus, the writer admits he knows nothing about LR shooting. That tells me that an experienced precision rifleman will likely do better, possibly much better. Having said that, my personal $400 sps tactical is a solid .5moa gun with FGMM (replacement chassis that cost more than the Ruger rifle), and much closer to .25 moa with handloads. I don;t consider that typical, but sub .75 is pretty normal, from what I have seen.

Only 5 shot groups count.

Now I really feel like I stepped into an alternate reality....

Mel on Snipercentral stated his example of a 700 SPS Tac is solid sub .5 MOA, with a regular street price of over $600. Granted, that's an exceptional example and not what most report, as shooters will most commonly see .5 to 3/4...which is still exceptionally impressive comapred to the Ruger since it's a few hundred bucks cheaper, even as low as $550 if you check gunbroker. He tested the 700 SPS Varmint as a .75 MOA rifle, also around the same price. I've seen such performance on demand, and consistent, from a friends 700 Police, as well. He stated the 700 VTR is one of the worst examples of a Remington heavy barreled rifle he's tested, with an average .858" group. The average group he got from a Savage 10 FCP McMillan was .682", with prices comparable to this Ruger. The Savage 10FCP with an HS Precision stock can be had for a grand as well, and I don't imagine it performs any worse.

Tikka T3 Tactical? .625" average, and you're able to get them for $1200 without much effort.

Other than that, I don't know what to say.

I get that some shooters may find it attractive to have PMAG compatibility with an 7.62 AR if they own one...or the other tactical doodads on the rifle....but I don't get the enthusiasm over the rifle as if it's doing something never done before with accuracy in its price range.

It's simply not true. Well documented, and not an opinion.
    TGS, thanks for those links. I wrongly assumed what I could and could not do with the money this Ruger costs.

I still want the Ruger, but I definitely am more informed now. Thanks again!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    I rarely see any of the above mentioned factory rifles perform that well
    I can only speak to the Remington part, but I agree. You may find one load it'll consistently shoot 3/4, usually FGMM - IME, but not with a lot of different loads when you include 5 x 5 shot groups.

As an owner of a couple custom built precision rifles, I am still excited to see Ruger enter the game with some nice features. The stock, magazine capability, and the modularity are all going to give the buyer options that nobody in the industry offers.

Accuracy from factory built rifles is always going to be a gamble. There are a couple good examples of this gun shooting really well and I hope Ruger can maintain that level.

The trigger may become a sticking point for some. You have so many trigger options with Remington based actions and time will tell if the aftermarket catches up to this one.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List