Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.2M New Prohibited Persons

Site Supporter

4.2M New Prohibited Persons

The Obama administration is planning on adding anyone who receives SSA benefits through a representative payee to NICS. http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...ry.html#page=1

A surprisingly even-handed description of just what is wrong with this strategy, considering the source.

Of course, it kinda misses the point early on:
    The push is intended to bring the Social Security Administration in line with laws regulating who gets reported to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, which is used to prevent gun sales to felons, drug addicts, immigrants in the country illegally and others.
    Should, of course, read "which is sold as preventing gun sales to felons, drug addicts, illegal immigrants, while simply making life as difficult as possible for the law-abiding."
    /snark
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Got to love the extensive Sandy Hook pictures, and images. When Sandy Hook had nothing to do with the new class of prohibited persons.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Got to love the extensive Sandy Hook pictures, and images. When Sandy Hook had nothing to do with the new class of prohibited persons.
    The fact that nearly every high-profile mass shooter passed a background check hasn't stopped anti-gun advocates from using mass shootings to justify expanded background checks. A disconnect between the alleged problem and proposed "solution" is pretty much SOP for gun control policies.

Yes, but they have to DO something,...even if it has nothing to do with the "problem".

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Are they automatically pulling their driver's licenses as well? In all seriousness, I would wager that the folks who are about to be "prohibited" kill way more people via lousy driving ability then by firearm use.

Hey now, folks with ingrown toenails might get really annoyed with the pain and open fire on a busload of nuns or something. Fortunately under Obamacare we can identify these ticking bombs and preclude them from purchasing firearms. I mean if we can't shame people into not owning guns then perhaps we can medical condition them beyond the reach of the second amendment.
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    That proposal is lunacy, and I doubt it will survive to the end of the week. What were they thinking?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    That proposal is lunacy, and I doubt it will survive to the end of the week. What were they thinking?
    The VA already does the same thing to veterans who receive benefits through a representative payee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The fact that nearly every high-profile mass shooter passed a background check hasn't stopped anti-gun advocates from using mass shootings to justify expanded background checks. A disconnect between the alleged problem and proposed "solution" is pretty much SOP for gun control policies.
    Agreed. So shouldn't the NRA be focusing their talking points and advertising and legal challenges based on this very logical argument? (There is no reason to improve background checks because there is no correlation and thus this will not improve things.)

The NRA seems to focus most of its energy on demonizing our political leaders (especially Democrats), rather than making the case directly to the American People about the illogical responses to these high profile murders. The public, even Democrats and minorities, have changed to a majority support the idea that a gun will help prevent crime than make them more unsafe. It just seems we are not exploiting that change. The fact that the background check didn't work for Dylan Roof is embarrassing since the vast majority would agree that at-risk individuals should be prevented from possession/purchase. Would Dylan Roof have found another way to buy a gun and do the murders?...We will never know. But the perception is bad.

I wish the NRA would focus less on the partisanship and more on getting the General Public to convince their representatives to change their positions on gun control. After all, politicians will lose their jobs if they don't win elections. The list of Democrats who support gun rights will continue to grow.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List