Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 121: Hackathorn Standards

Gen3 G34, in a Keeper concealed under a t-shirt
    Manly Man Version
    270/300

Things I noticed: a lot of these par times are just about right for me to shoot a very certain, on-demand/match pace, particularly on the closer strings. The ones that feel tough for me are the prone and barricade shooting at 20 and 25 yards. Not really because of the par times themselves, it's more that the shooting itself is just hard, whether I take a lot of time or a little time. I'd still like to try this one again - had a lot of close Cs that I feel like I should be able to turn into As. Of course it's all easier said than done.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gen3 G34, in a Keeper concealed under a polo shirt
    Revised Turbo Version
    258/300

This is the last of the Hack-fest from last weekend. I made up the Revised Turbo Version a long time ago, trying to solve my problem with par times - that they are arbitrary and usually feel too short or too long for me. These times were meant to be reflective of me shooting and gunhandling at my full natural speed. They are probably overly ambitious as well, given how many points I drop compared to other versions of the Hack. Still, it is a different and fun flavor of this standard. Some of the times are pretty tough and if anything goes wrong I'll probably have overtime shots. 258 is probably not too bad considering how many points could easily be lost to overtime shots. Would still like to do better though.

I'd kind of like to try it one more time soon, and shoot it at an on-demand, match pace (would be slower than the Revised Turbo version, but faster than the Kitty/Standard Version) and not use a par time at all. Just shoot it, record my time, and let that tell me what my par times 'ought' to be. I bet I will find that I just recreate something pretty close to Ben's Manly Man version.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I shot this cold, first rounds out of the gun in a session this week. After listening to one of Stoeger's recent podcasts, I'd pre-promised myself that I'd post whatever the results were in the interest of conjuring up some "performance stress" in training. Welp, it worked. Not too proud of this one, but….

USPSA metric targets
    Duty gear (Level III 6360 Safariland holster)
    Sig 226
    "Delta" version (that sounds a lot better than "kiddie")
    267/300

Out of the gates (string 2) I flinched badly and threw a mike on the one handed head shot. On the whole, the time standards for this version are pretty manageable for me. I suspect my personal "match mode" with my duty stuff, lies somewhere between this and Ben's version. The only strings where I had a time issue were on #5 where I badly botched a draw (was within the .3 though) and #9, the weak hand pickup (I made the time but it was 4.9X). My biggest deficits were the result of a bunch of close C hits at distance (strings 11, 12 and 13) that I'd called As. These accounted for 16 points and interestingly were strings where I had quite a bit of extra time to play with. Still pondering the learning points, as I'm confident "slowing down" isn't the answer.

Good drill.

t

I ran the "kiddie" version of this yesterday.

Beretta Elite II 9mm, AIWB holster over a polo shirt.

I used IPSC metric targets with overlapping 3x5 cards for the head. It isn't perfect and I don't know if this arrangement made the test harder or easier, but it's what I had, so take the score with a grain of salt. I had to guess at C and D calls and tried to call things at the lower score if it was questionable. I really need to order some proper targets instead of being cheap and making home-made cardboard......

Pic of the targets....

Pic of the barricade at 25 yards:

"results":

Overall score: 239

String 1: 3.38 (over the "grace period" so called one shot as a miss)
    String 2: 3.30
    String 2: 3.07
    String 2: 2.92
    String 5: 1.86
    String 6: 2.09
    String 7: 1.90
    String 8: 9.43
    String 9: 5.22
    String 10: 3.99
    String 11: 3.85
    String 12: 8.82 This is where I missed the first target completely. I called a funky shot when I landed my fat ass into prone and this target only had 19 rounds on it.
    String 12: 17.94

I scored 36 A's, 15 C's and 7 D's.

Here are pics of the three targets after the test:

August 9, 2015

Gen 3 G-17 Blade-Tech. Open carry.
    Kiddie version.
    267/300.
    I used IDPA targets.
    I made all the times OK, but I used almost all of the grace period on the weak hand pickup string.
    I dropped 5 of the 6 shots into the -1 zone from the 20 yard prone string. I have been pulling prone shots low for 30 years. No reason to expect anything else now.
    Since I shoot at Fort Harmar, I have been shooting different versions of the Hackathorn Standards for over 30 years. Back in the day, all we shot were fixed time standards because they hadn't invented timers yet. Stop watch and a whistle.

Equipment used: Glock 23 converted to 9mm, from open front concealment using Safariland ALS owb holster.

Version: Kiddie (do they have a baby version maybe?)

Total points: 169/300

Most of the points lost were due to not getting pistol out and on target fast enough. Secondary problem was shoving at the pistol on discharge. I did see the sights doing some “funny” things the moment the round went off several times. Again my old nemesis of lack of sufficient concentration I think.

Ranking: Needs improvement --- Ya’ think?

User Tag List