Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition to allow GIs to carry on-duty

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The vast majority of enlisted do not possess security clearances.
    Make it E5+.
    And O2+.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I posted on another thread earlier talking about this subject. It was still fresh after the murders we had at hood last year - and all I could direct my company commanders to do is lock the doors and hide.

My CSM and I both agreed. Officers/Senior NCOs (E7 and above) should be issued a sidearm when they come in for duty in the morning. open the arms room. It might even propel some leaders to place a bit of emphasis on pistol training (I know, it is unlikely given that a 15 year war didn't seem to inspire many to take it seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The vast majority of enlisted do not possess security clearances.
    Are you sure? When I joined in 2009, most of us left bootcamp with at least a secret. The people who didn't leave with it were pending.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Are you sure? When I joined in 2009, most of us left bootcamp with at least a secret. The people who didn't leave with it were pending.
    Same with my BMT flight. By the end of Tech School your clearance was generally finalized.

In any event, my thoughts on the subject are that its another great idea which will never see the light of day.

It is easy to point at the senior brass and say they're the problem, but its more systemic then that.Lots of people all over the Chain of Command chart don't like firearms even on a personal basis. You can take the anti gun liberal out of NY and put them behind a rifle, but that doesn't make them pro-gun. I knew airmen who had the misfortune of being assigned to an anti-gun supervisor who refused their signature on the approval form, so they couldn't keep a gun on base.

Even if Congress directed the DoD to establish a methodology to enable troops to carry, there'd be maybe one unit in ten who'd execute it. The others would find ways to hem, haw, dodge and weave in between IG visits. Id be the case of "Your commander said OK to carry on post, but the CC assistant is a staunch anti so the forms sit on her desk forever because her CO outranks yours ."
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Same with my BMT flight. By the end of Tech School your clearance was generally finalized.
    Oh.....hmmm. Now I'm confused....I even just read an article stating half of the armed forces have security clearances at all.

I'm wondering how the hell those waiver types got a Secret....and if everyone had a secret, how all those guys who "got a great deal on this new car for only 21% interest....but it's cool because I'm making the payments with my credit card cause its like free money" types were able to keep it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

There are people eligible for clearances who don't get them. Most jobs in the military do not require a security clearance, and there are those that require one only in certain pay grades or circumstances. Besides, a SECRET security clearance is comprised of the shit you read or watch in the news. TOP SECRET shit is what the President spouts off at press conferences to make himself look good, and Hillary Cankles stores on her private server.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    There are people eligible for clearances who don't get them. Most jobs in the military do not require a security clearance, and there are those that require one only in certain pay grades or circumstances. Besides, a SECRET security clearance is comprised of the shit you read or watch in the news. TOP SECRET shit is what the President spouts off at press conferences to make himself look good, and Hillary Cankles stores on her private server.
    nailed it. I only attended one brief my whole time in the military where they actually addressed security clearance and asked certain people to leave, I think mostly for show.

That is hilarious and unfortunately true.

Site Supporter
    No, but all have a local records check, and basic information is obtained.........such as criminal convictions, felonies, violent offenses, etc. Members of the military have to be in compliance with the law when it comes to possession of firearms. Anyone who is categorized as a "prohibited person" by civilian law, is not eligible to possess a firearm in the performance of military duty.
    In general, yes. My Agency has had several Wounded Warrior interns, one of whom told me a very interesting story regarding Army recruiters and criminal waivers during the height of the Iraq war. Supposedly, they were taking recruits with misdemeanor domestic violence convictions, getting them waivers and putting them in slots where they would have / use crew served weapons ( belt fed MG) but they could not / would not be issued a personal weapon such as a handgun or rifle. Is it true or 100% correct - I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In general, yes. My Agency has had several Wounded Warrior interns, one of whom told me a very interesting story regarding Army recruiters and criminal waivers during the height of the Iraq war. Supposedly, they were taking recruits with misdemeanor domestic violence convictions, getting them waivers and putting them in slots where they would have / use crew served weapons ( belt fed MG) but they could not / would not be issued a personal weapon such as a handgun or rifle. Is it true or 100% correct - I don't know.
    They'd still be drawing an individual weapon in Basic / OSUT training, and as late as 2005 we were bouncing people out who got domestic violence convictions. I'm skeptical, but with the Big Army, no screw up or waiver is unimaginable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List