Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M 27's and 28's

I've only owned a few N frame 357's and regret selling the 27's in particular. I also think the 5" is the perfect all around size. That would be my first choice if I could afford one.

A guy named Peter Eick (sp?) posts on TheHighRoad and a couple other places. Hes posted a couple pics of some of his guns. One was maybe 3 dozen blued guns, 38-44 heavy duty's, 27's, pre-27's, etc, all lined up in racks side by side. He's in TX, maybe some of you guys know him. I PM'ed him a few weeks ago asking the general outlook on later, affordable shooter grade 27's, he said they can be found in the shops he goes in for reasonable money if you dont get in a hurry.

I'll keep enjoying these threads, and hoping I can get back to being able to buy a gun once in a while. A 27 is close to the top of the list. I tended towards larger calibers in the past, but am appreciating shooting more for fun and with less kick and expense at this point. The 44's can go out when I go where the bears live, but for general shooting and low country carry, the 27 is looking pretty good.

One of Peters posts with 38-44 heavy duty's. The pic I'm remembering was easily 2 or 3x as many guns in it as the ones in this post.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...-44+heavy+duty
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-16-2015 at 01:57 AM.

I've owned a 6" 28, a nickel 6" 27, 6.5" registered magnum, and two 4" 28s over the years. Just have a 28 no dash 4" now. I've gone through a few K frame .357s also and I just detest shooting the magnums through a K frame. For me, the N frame is just great with the full house stuff. All of them were tack drivers. Most of the DA pulls on my .357 N frames have been much heavier than what I have run into on K frames albeit smooth. I assume that's the nature of moving the bigger parts.

But that 28 is all I have for .357 magnum nowadays and that will probably due me. With the right choice of ammunition that caliber can really cover a huge spectrum of tasks.

I recently got a FIST #1K straight drop clip holster for the 4" N frame to possibly make due concealed carrying of my 629 in AK if that was all I took. None of that happened but in my spool up I gave the combo a whirl and if I didn't have all these G19s available, I could make that work AIWB. Then again my first concealed carry gun ('81) was a 6" Model 57 so I have a high tolerance for such stuff.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This is my grail 28

Attachment 3623

Link to GB auction...no affiliation with seller.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=495253494

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    This is my grail 28

Attachment 3623

Does that guy write copy for WWE announcers?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    This is my grail 28

Attachment 3623

That front sight must be a half inch wide.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Interesting timing on this thread...

Name:  IMG_0935.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  101.3 KB

Made in 1966, apparently.

The newer guns just don't do it for me like the old S&W revolvers do. I never actually fired my nickel plated 6" model 27 because it was too pretty...and I really didn't want to deal with cleaning it. This one I intend to shoot.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 07-17-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

The newer guns just don't do it for me like the old S&W revolvers do. I never actually fired my nickel plated 6" model 27 because it was too pretty...and I really didn't want to deal with cleaning it. This one I intend to shoot.
    Send it to me now and the hair remains untouched...:-)

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    3/15/2016

Never seen that before... Tell you what buddy, you just keep it...I'll be on the other side of the street. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Same here. 2 years ago I traded a G21 and Surefire 60 round AR mag for a cherry 6" nickel 27. But I couldn't and it was big. Sold it for a profit and got the 28 no dash 4". Better for me.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List