Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M 27's and 28's

M 27's and 28's

My google fu seems to be failing. Are there any good threads on them?

If not, who can spend some time extolling their virtues? I have a few of the newer N frame mid bores, but want an actual 27 or 28 now.

I am kind of fuzzy as to whether I now have a 27, but I do have a 627 and 327. They are two time zones away, but I recall the 627 to be a five inch, Performance Center, eight shot, with a switchable front sight, funny profile barrel, and a great trigger. The 327 is just like it, but Scandium. Both are outstanding shooters.

I enjoy shooting them, especially at longer distance, but have always had the impression that I would rather hit something with a warm .44 special, .45 LC or .44 magnum, for a revolver of the same size.

Every 27 I have handled exuded quality. Great triggers. Modest recoil.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The Mod 27 with a 5" barrel is one of the most balanced revolvers I've ever handled. Other than a Registered Magnum, it's one of the few S&W revolvers that I could be persuaded to pay too much for should the right specimen ever came along. I'd just like to have one for deer hunting.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

All I really know is the Model 28 was the "plain Jane" version of the Model 27. The model 28 was called the Highway Patrolman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_28

I agree with GJM, the N-Frames seem better suited to the caliber's that begin with 4, though I'm sure I'd love to have an N-Frame .357 Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The Mod 27 with a 5" barrel is one of the most balanced revolvers I've ever handled. Other than a Registered Magnum, it's one of the few S&W revolvers that I could be persuaded to pay too much for should the right specimen ever came along. I'd just like to have one for deer hunting.
    I put a WTB add in the sale section. I left the 5" barrel out, as it seemed stupid to ask for one. Maybe I should re-write that, just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I put a WTB add in the sale section. I left the 5" barrel out, as it seemed stupid to ask for one. Maybe I should re-write that, just in case...
    To be honest, while I've wanted one for a long time now other priorities have made that desire just a blip on the fringes of my radar until your post.

Interestingly, I did a quick check and found this one on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=494709791

Irrespective of it's Commemorative status, it would be a "shooter" if it were to end up in my hands.

Are you sure that's a 5"? I'm not familiar with the agency, so you may have first hand knowledge, but the barrel looks like a 4" to me. Did I miss it in the description?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post

Are you sure that's a 5"? I'm not familiar with the agency, so you may have first hand knowledge, but the barrel looks like a 4" to me. Did I miss it in the description?
    Yea, pretty sure. The light barrel profile is deceiving on those big N-Frames. The length of barrel extending beyond the ejector rod shroud is the giveaway.

Here's a 4" for comparison:

Last edited by 41magfan; 07-15-2015 at 08:51 PM.

One of my favorite subjects. I will get on the big computer tomorrow and do a diatribe.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I have a rescued NYSP marked 4" Model 28-2. It's a horse pistol that will readily handle really hot loads up to and including the Skeeter Skelton loads. I've carried it in the woods hunting a few times and keep telling myself I need a better holster/belt combo to carry comfortably for long periods.

Here it is with a set of Safariland grips which I prefer over the target grips.

Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List