Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: S&W 25-2 Effector .45 ACP (Jovino)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    .45s don't need to expand, or super high velocity to kill. They have been putting both large animals and people into the dirt for over a century, without the need for any expansion.

We have been wrapped up in the whole 9mm is now equal to everything else silliness for a good little bit now and the more it gets read and repeated, the more it is believed. Funny, you don't see the experienced handgun hunters deliberately trading in their .45 Colt and .44 Magnums for 9x19s..

Back to the Jovino,

With a proper handload, it is just as effective today at dropping whatever needs dropped as it has ever been. Heavy slugs are VERY hard to stop and penetrate deep.

Here is a pic of a friend who killed this cow elk a few years back using an old M1917 .45 ACP revolver and .45 Auto Rim brass. The bullets were 246.5 grains with a velocity of 900 FPS. Obviously, it worked.

John Linebaugh, who is well known in the handgun building community for making hunting guns has this to say:

I have personally taken about 10 antelope and 1 mule deer with a .45 Colt. My boys have taken around 6 antelope and 5 mule deer with their .45 Colts. They use a 4 3/4" Colt SA and the handload is a 260 Keith cast at 900 fps. This load will shoot lengthwise of antelope and mule deer at 100 yards.

That is not particularly heavy load and one that is easily achievable in a shorter barrel. I run a similar load in my 4& 5/8ths" Flattop single action using 270 grain wide meplat SWCs.

In summary, .45s don't need expansion to work. With proper loads, generally utilizing a heavy projectile, they break bones and give complete penetration. It has been working since the days when men rode horses and carried handguns stuffed with black powder.
    I carry a Glock 19 mostly these days, but I have to agree that I think there's something to the big bore, relatively low pressure calibers that isn't given credit these days, whereas it was in the past. My own handgun hunting comparing 9mm +P with .45 Auto hardcast flat nose +P does seem to show an advantage with the larger caliber, and that's a 255gr bullet going 925. Not exactly magnum or .45 Super territory.

The nice thing about the big bores is you make a big hole and have great penetration while being relatively low pressure and very controllable. If I were a lawman back in the revolver days I'd be heavily tempted to select a S&W Model 25, in either .45 Colt or .45 Auto, and stoke them with full wadcutters. That's a lot of surface area!

I'm really tempted to order a Model 25 Classic right now. How do modern, lock-equipped Model 25s hold up durability/reliability wise compared to the older ones? I've heard arguments going both ways. As for the lock, I'd likely have that deleted.

Also, it may have been brought up earlier, but what would be a good urban defensive load for this? I don't see Silvertips anywhere. Yes I know it's crazy to consider carrying one of these, but damn if a big bore low pressure double action revolver doesn't give me confidence. It would also be nice for in the woods, but I'd be leaning towards full wadcutters for that.

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Too bad Mr. Bolke doesn't post here anymore.

Can somebody else explain to me the fascination of a snubbie .45 Colt vs. more modern calibers like .45 ACP.
    Hasn't been the .45 Colt left behind in terms of modern bullet development? From the few tests I have seen,
    one can't count on expansion out of these short barrels. Am I totally wrong?
    I am not sure about the “fascination” part, but, some folks might rather not deal with moon clips that are necessary when toting reloads for a .45 ACP DA revolver. As for the “modern” part, the .45 ACP is not all that much newer than the .45 Colt cartridge, by this point in time. Smokeless powder made shorter cartridge cases feasible, but did not make the .45 Colt obsolete. Those who like lever-action rifles to be chambered for the same cartridge as their revolvers will no be able to use .45 ACP in a lever-action rifle, except for some very few conversions that have been built, and which have not been widely fielded.

.45 Colt can be loaded with the same controlled-expansion JHPs that are loaded into .45 ACP. Some such loads are catalogued by ammo manufacturers.

.45 ACP will move awfully slowly, too, when fired from snub-length barrels. Because the same bullets can be loaded into either case, and velocity is velocity, regardless, the “can’t count on expansion” factor is not unique to .45 Colt, but also affects .45 ACP. The bullet, itself, does not “know” the cartridge case, from which it was launched, and, when the bullet has emerged from the muzzle, there is no longer any push, from the burning of the powder.

Whether the cartridge is .38 Special, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, or any other, a solution to short-barreled, low-velocity performance is the full wadcutter bullet, or a wide-flat-nosed bullet. These are available, from some manufacturers, for the revolver cartridges.

One thought: Large .45 Colt cartridges are large enough to make them noticeably easier to handle, especially for those of us whose hands may not work as well as they did, in our younger days, or, of course, for anyone, whose hands are suddenly not so dextrous, due to an adrenaline dump, or injury.

Anyone who wants a shorter cartridge case, to use in .45 Colt revolvers, can look into the .45 Schofield, which dates from the black powder era, and the .45 Cowboy, a modern invention.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

mine! S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt. Bought it for 600,- from here: https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=18435739
    So I can't say for sure that it's a real Jovino, after all the seller lives in Germany, but at least it has all the Jovino mods: shortened unmarked barrel, K-frame mod, rounded hammer, smooth trigger, ball bearing lock, Pachmayr grip.

So how does one find out the history of this model?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by overton; 10-04-2022 at 11:41 AM.

mine! S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt. Bought it for 600,- from here: https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=18435739
    So I can't say for sure that it's a real Jovino, after all the seller lives in Germany, but at least it has all the Jovino mods: shortened unmarked barrel, K-frame mod, rounded hammer, smooth trigger, ball bearing lock, Pachmayr grip.
    Wow! Any idea how long the process will take to get it here and in your hands?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I am hailing from Europe. As far as gunlaws are concerned behind enemy lines.

I am hailing from Europe. As far as gunlaws are concerned behind enemy lines.
    Dang it, I didn’t think about that possibility!🤣
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

So how does one find out the history of this model?
    You could request a “Letter” from the Smith and Wesson Collectors Association. Join up and Roy Jinks, the S&W historian, will research your particular serial number. http://smith-wessonforum.com/swca-public-area/

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    ...I passed on a 4" Model 28 when the NYSP were selling them off because I couldn't see a need for a barrel that short...
    Lack of demand from people like you got me a deal on mine (one of the NY guns) so the universe at least provided

User Tag List