Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: S&W 25-2 Effector .45 ACP (Jovino)

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Awesomeness galore in that pic, Sir. What do you use for carry rounds and how do you carry a reload?
    I have a finish challenged ugly as hell Lew Horton 3” M29 that I would like to carry “just because”.
    Winchester Silvertip. It was our duty load and dropped everything in one. There is likely better stuff, but I have it and I know first hand that it works on summer clothed bad guys. I use HKS loaders with the 25-5's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    So these aren't marked in any way?
    Nope. Austin Behlert originally did them and they have a lock on the crane instead of the ejector rod. Jovino had a bunch of excellent gunsmith's in the old days and they began ordering N frame's and converting them at the Jovino shop. Later, you had the Horton guns with a little bit longer barrels and conventional lock up that were ordered in small runs from S&W.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Those Ahrends were literally made for that snubbie beast. What a great combo.
    This.

As much as I hate the old "if you could have only one" saw (we live in ‘murica for reasons), that revolver, exactly as pictured, makes a compelling case for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Winchester Silvertip. It was our duty load and dropped everything in one. There is likely better stuff, but I have it and I know first hand that it works on summer clothed bad guys.
    IIRC, "Silvertips" were well regarded until they were, along with revolvers and 9mms, included in the list of hardware blamed in the aftermath of the 86 Miami shootout. I thought they expanded reliably but the cool kids are using bonded and I confess to conforming to metro-tactical fashion.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This.

As much as I hate the old "if you could have only one" saw (we live in ‘murica for reasons), that revolver, exactly as pictured, makes a compelling case for itself.
    Yes it does.....I felt just fine carrying it on my trip with a single speedloader in my pocket. Dealt with homeless and tourist attracted crap in a high crime area with zero apprehension. Like I said in an earlier post, as a baby cop this gun for off time and my four inch for work along with a S&W Bodyguard for a back up and I would have been perfectly happy.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 05-10-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

This thread reminds me of all the Lew Horton guns I’ve briefly had over the years... would probably be worth about the price of a new pickup if I still had em all.

I use HKS loaders with the 25-5's.
    Which HKS loaders do you use?

I have had some trouble with HKS model 25-5's (I use mostly Magtech brass). The loader doesn't hold onto the cartridge rim very securely and sometimes one of the cartridges falls out of the loader. I have actually had more success with HKS model 29's, even though they are not even meant for the same caliber. But I am very curious as to what your experiences with HKS loaders have been.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Which HKS loaders do you use?

I have had some trouble with HKS model 25-5's (I use mostly Magtech brass). The loader doesn't hold onto the cartridge rim very securely and sometimes one of the cartridges falls out of the loader. I have actually had more success with HKS model 29's, even though they are not even meant for the same caliber. But I am very curious as to what your experiences with HKS loaders have been.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    I ve had zero issues and worked at a place where we had a couple hundred folks running 25-5’s and all carried several loaders. I am wondering if this is not more of an ammunition issue than a loader issue.

FWIW, the guy I know who had no luck with the 25-2s was trying to run 45 auto rim in a 625.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I had a Jovino S&W Effector, a 25-2, bought new in the mid-Eighties, until I had to thin the herd during a financially lean time. IIRC, it was quite well-done.

I did not re-buy N-Frames during the personally more-prosperous Nineties, because, by then, I had learned N-Frames were too big for my hands, unless they had very skinny triggers and very skimpy grips, which meant painful recoil effects firing big-bore ammo. (I finally bought an 8-shot .357 327 PC snubby, this year, loaded with, uh, orthopedic-level light loads.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-16-2018 at 11:01 AM.

One of the last guns I need to check off my list of "revolvers I want" is a Jovino 25-5 in .45 Colt.
    Too bad Mr. Bolke doesn't post here anymore.

Can somebody else explain to me the fascination of a snubbie .45 Colt vs. more modern calibers like .45 ACP.
    Hasn't been the .45 Colt left behind in terms of modern bullet development? From the few tests I have seen,
    one can't count on expansion out of these short barrels. Am I totally wrong?

User Tag List