Thread: 10-8/Dawson P30/L sights setup

10-8/Dawson P30/L sights setup

For those of you who use or used such setup, what's the height of a front sight you ended up selecting? I just had 10-8s installed on my 30 and 30L and trying to figure what would give a direct POA / POI. As it commonly happens, I am getting different results depending on distances, indoors vs outdoors, target size and color, etc. Just curious.

P.S. Should've clarified that both guns sport a Heinie front sight and I am trying to figure the amount of correction needed.
    Last edited by YVK; 07-12-2015 at 08:27 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Remember the formula, Yuri?

Impact Error (E) X Sight Radius (R)/Range Distance (D) = Correction Needed

So, if you're off 3", have a sight radius of 6.42" (P30L radius per the HK specs) and you fired your test groups at 25 yards (900 inches) you get:

(3") X (6.42")/900"

19.26/900 = .0214" of correction needed

Hope this helps. I know the math is a breeze for you, but thought others may benefit.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I have this set up on 4 guns. I use a .170 tall Dawson, either Tritium or FO. At 25 yds POI s about .50 high and about 1.5 at 50 yds, from level sights / top edge, I find that to be acceptable. This is using GDHP 124gr +P and Federal HST 124gr +P.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    My question is where are you finding 10-8 HK sights, they've been out of stock for a very long time.

Wayne, I remember it by heart, Scott Mulkerin' s website that is )

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/sightcalc.html

HCM, I signed up for email notification from 10-8 website. Took about one month or so; maybe I just got lucky.

My biggest problem in this endeavor is that I get 7 inch error shooting white 3x5 outdoors and 10 inch error shooting 6 inch bull indoors. Both about 3 inch groups off hand, so I am pulling the trigger OK. I truly and passionately dislike sighting. If I could have adjustable rears on all my guns, I would.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My biggest problem in this endeavor is that I get 7 inch error shooting white 3x5 outdoors and 10 inch error shooting 6 inch bull indoors. Both about 3 inch groups off hand, so I am pulling the trigger OK. I truly and passionately dislike sighting. If I could have adjustable rears on all my guns, I would.
    I would attribute this to ghosting / blurring of one or both of the sights. What appears to be the top edge look taller due to a blurred edge. This increase in height is going to force you to visually drive the sight down. You may have to shift focus from sight to sight to see where the true edge is based on lighting. As to the adjustable sights:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/P30-H...-205p16966.htm
    Taking a break from social media.

What I do, and did in this case, is shoot at multiple distances. The 5 yard groups give 2.125 displacement, which more is consistent with 10 at 25 than 7. I am going to put a .150 on 30L and .155 on 30 and fine tune it from there. I find this more cost and time effective than printing groups half foot or more below the POA with a premium ammo, even if I need to get another height eventually.

Thanks to all for help!

User Tag List