Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first revolver today !!!!!!!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Lots of people seem to dislike the factory grips. I really like them.. But don't have experience with really anything else. Should I try new things or stick to what I think I like?
    It never hurts to try, except your pocket book. I had Hogue grips on my Security Six, and while they were tacky and easy to shoot they also made it much more bulky. Factory grips on Rugers are made by either Hogue or Altamont, depending on the model.

The factory Wiley Clapp grips are made by Altamont, and IMO a very good blend of concealability and recoil control. You can't get the finger groove inserts as those are a TALO exclusive, but you can choose several different styles of wood inserts. I think the snake skin looks nice, myself.

http://www.altamontco.com/experiment...uger_gp100.php

Hogue makes the OEM grip for the Match Champion, which is bulkier but feels fills the hands well. I also think its a bit more natural to point with. They do leave a bit of a gap between the frame below the hammer and the grip, though, so if that aesthetic irritates you just be warned.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-GP100-Mat...uctinfo/19944/

Lett Manufacturing has been out of business for many years now, but they used to be the OEM supplier for Ruger grips. You'll have to sniff around ebay, Gunbroker, etc. to find either used or NOS if you want Lett grips.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    When you are ready for your second GP100:

http://tooeleshootingsupply.com/shop...inish-6-round/

$680 shipped, no CC fees, and the Match Champion has excellent sights and the Hogue grip I mentioned above. It's also a half lug, has a champhered cylinder, the trigger is slicked up a bit, and it comes with either adjustable rear sights or Novak rears. I've got the earlier adjustable sight version, and its a sweet, sweet shooting revolver.

I'm so ready to get another. But I LOVE this gun. It's so easy to shoot it's insane. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to shoot it at 25 yards and see what it will really do!

Full stop on a couple answers you got......DO NOT dry practice with the plastic ring. If you read the manual and contact Ruger, both will tell you that is not recommended and can damage your firing pin.

Go get some good snap caps. I use the Azoom red aluminum ones to practice both dry trigger presses and reloading.

Great gun. Perfect first revolver. If you want better sights, either a different gun, or I like the Bowen conversion. I have an SP101 with Bowen sights on it.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Full stop on a couple answers you got......DO NOT dry practice with the plastic ring. If you read the manual and contact Ruger, both will tell you that is not recommended and can damage your firing pin.

Go get some good snap caps. I use the Azoom red aluminum ones to practice both dry trigger presses and reloading.

Great gun. Perfect first revolver. If you want better sights, either a different gun, or I like the Bowen conversion. I have an SP101 with Bowen sights on it.
    Not arguing, just asking. How can that soft plastic ring damage the firing pin?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Not arguing, just asking. How can that soft plastic ring damage the firing pin?
    It's not that soft. Compare that ring to the gooey stuff in the AZooms. Sure, it is not hitting metal on metal like dry pressing a rim fire, but that plastic doesn't give like a primer. You are banging the firing pin against something dense, not a thin piece of metal that gives and is designed for that.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

I dry fired it in the store like 20 or 30 times with the yellow cap in there. Think I hurt anything? Spent casing do have a rather large dent in the primer.

You are fine. Its just something you want to make a habit of, and not what the ring is for.

Site Supporter
    Nice looking revolver.

Thanks man. I think I'm hooked on the revolvers. Looking forward to competing with it! Gonna polish a few things and paint the front sight till I can replace it and shoot the mess out of it.

User Tag List