Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 bolt gun/scout rifle

.223 bolt gun/scout rifle

Let's suppose a fellow desired one of these… and let's suppose his reasons are sound (to him, anyway) and graven in stone as far as caliber/action type is concerned.

From my limited research, the only COTS product- now that the Steyr Scout is no more- available is the Mossberg MVP. And I'm just not getting warm and fuzzy about it. Besides, it takes AR magazines, and an internal magazine (preferably stripper-clip capable) is desired. The Ruger American Ranch looks pretty good, but no way to forward-mount the scope without custom work, and what reviews I've read (believable ones… ones that weren't immediately apparent to be puff pieces) have been less than charitable concerning its accuracy potential; and it has no irons, nor a provision for them. More custom work...

A friend is getting me a line on a Remington Model Seven to look at. Anything else I have missed that might be a potential candidate? And can anyone recommend a good rifle board… i.e; one like this one? The ones I've looked at so far are either felony Fudd (yeah, I know, I'm in that age bracket. I've got the age, NOT the mind-set) or survivalist-bordering-on-tin-foil-hat types, whose solution to everything is a year's supply of hard red winter wheat… whatever THAT is.

Oh… guess I should 'splain what I expect this rifle to do. I want a general purpose rifle for medium game (both varieties) that gives me more reach than an 870 with bear balls, and it has to be something inoffensive to the hoplophobes and gendarmie, if you get my drift. I want the scope forward to keep the action clear for loading and/or clearing mis-feeds, etc. I don't have a lot of bolt gun experience, and expect to see a learning curve.

Any suggestions/recommendations (except ones to go bigger on the caliber, or a lever gun, etc.) will gratefully appreciated.

Duh. I neglected to mention I checked out the Ruger GSR in .223; interesting, but not too thrilled with the dependence on a specific magazine…. and that sucker is HEAVY for a .223! That right there turned me off to it.

Last edited by LSP972; 07-11-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added thought...

I am selling a CZ Carbine in the FS section that is about perfect for that role (which is why I got it). I also have a kimber Montana in .223 which works well in that role. The Remington 7 is a fair bit heavier than either of those two, and is not as good IMO. This is something I have played with a lot over the years, and have moved away from. If it fits your needs though, have fun.

Site Supporter
    I have the CZ carbine in 7.62x39 - it, or the same gun in .223 are perfect for what you describe. As for other options, what does a BLR 223 weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I am selling a CZ Carbine in the FS section that is about perfect for that role (which is why I got it). I also have a kimber Montana in .223 which works well in that role. The Remington 7 is a fair bit heavier than either of those two, and is not as good IMO. This is something I have played with a lot over the years, and have moved away from. If it fits your needs though, have fun.
    PM inbound.

Steyr Scouts are still in production, I've seen them available at RSR. Steyr's crappy website also lists .223 as an option.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

No question, the CZ. I have two in .223 (both shoot MOA with multiple loads) and one modified to 6.5 Grendel. Lightweight, reliable, good triggers, reasonable in cost, handy little magazines, what is not to like. I used to have one in 7.63x39 called Scoutski, that SteveB has now. My only suggestion would be to consider a conventional scope on it if you want to reach out with it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Steyr Scouts are still in production, I've seen them available at RSR. Steyr's crappy website also lists .223 as an option.
    Hmmm… good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My only suggestion would be to consider a conventional scope on it if you want to reach out with it.
    200 yards, max. I wanted the forward scope for access to the action, but of course the DBM takes care of that.

Got a lot to ponder, here…

If you aren't to tied to the 223, Savage Arms made a Scout rifle in 7.62x39.
    Might be able to find one somewhere.

So, the CZ website states that:

"our .223s will happily eat 5.56, since CIP doesn’t differentiate between the two cartridges and just has the higher pressure as its standard."

Any issues? I mean, I completely trust the statement. This has me interested as well. I do not own a bolt gun in my battery and I'm starting to fell a bit empty. But, I want something affordable to practice with and common rifle caliber would be great.

User Tag List