Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Natural accuracy with a G41

Dry fire doesn't really show me much because it looks like the sight is still 90% of the time. I've thought about getting a laser to help show the inconsistency. Obviously something is moving somewhere.

I did some looking and found some monthly IDPA matches about an hour from me. I'll visit one and see if I can get some advice on an instructor.

Is Stoeger's book the gold standard? It may be all I need to clean this up. I feel like its got to be something minor that I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
    Dry fire doesn't really show me much because it looks like the sight is still 90% of the time. I've thought about getting a laser to help show the inconsistency. Obviously something is moving somewhere.

I did some looking and found some monthly IDPA matches about an hour from me. I'll visit one and see if I can get some advice on an instructor.

Is Stoeger's book the gold standard? It may be all I need to clean this up. I feel like its got to be something minor that I'm missing.
    Meeting people at a match is always a good idea and many of them would be happy to give some pointers I would bet. Stoeger's books are the most approachable and to the point of any I've read and they're my first choice of the ones I've read.

Have you tried any ball and dummy drills? A slight flinch before the trigger breaks can be hard to see and really mess with you.

http://pistol-training.com/drills/ball-dummy-drill

Site Supporter
    I seem to shoot the bigger framed Glock better than the 19, and I have small hands.

Site Supporter
    The Glock 19, especially the Gen 4, seems to shift sideways in my hand during recoil. It's also harder for me to get a good grip on it coming out of my duty holster. Maybe instead of small hands I have weird hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post

Pure trigger control and sight alignment are accountable for a small percentage of accuracy increase with regard to training effort.
    If anticipation is the issue, nothing but working on anticipation is going to show real gain.
    I'm not saying for sure that you have anticipation issues, simply illustrating a very common point.

It's normal to see people shoot a new gun better than the gun they usually shoot, as they tend to focus on fundamentals that they put on autopilot with the gun they shoot frequently.

Going to an IDPA match looking for instruction is akin to going to a Nascar race to learn driving. Yeah, I'm arguing an extreme, and IDPA competitors will generally be more approachable than a professional driver, however, they are in the process of competing, and when they're not they're repairing targets and scoring between shooters. Not really the best environment for teaching.

My recommendation is to look for an instructor that is also a competitor. "B" or above in USPSA, "E" or above in IDPA.

I'd recommend that you go to a bullseye shooter for fundamentals, but you need to be sure that you don't have anticipation issues first.
    One of the biggest gains in my shooting career was when I started shooting bullseye type competitions. The rapid fire is at 25/50 yards on a B-8, one-handed, firing 5 shots in 10 seconds. Just getting everything inside the black is a big step forward with regard to trigger control and isolation of the grip. Anticipation must be erased for those shots, as it is extremely unforgiving.

As far as books go, in my opinion, they don't do much until after you have your fundamentals ironed out. It's simply too hard to diagnose yourself if you don't know what you're looking for.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The Glock 19, especially the Gen 4, seems to shift sideways in my hand during recoil. It's also harder for me to get a good grip on it coming out of my duty holster. Maybe instead of small hands I have weird hands.
    Have you tried putting the medium or large backstrap on it? In my experience, some shooters get surprisingly good results from moving up a little in grip size. The smaller grip can feel better when just handling it, but shooting at speed can be a different matter, as you know! Something to consider.

If you already have the large on there, there are some good rubber slip on grips that add some bulk. I've recommended them to some of my agency's guys with good results.
    If you knew you were going to be in a fight for your life tomorrow, what would you change today?

User Tag List