Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VP9 field strip - must pull trigger?

Spoke to HK-USA. Was advised that dry firing the gun when the take down lever is rotated down is normal.

Not sure of the person's name - this was done via the regular phone # and transferred to customer support/parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Not sure of the person's name - this was done via the regular phone # and transferred to customer support/parts.
    Well that's interesting. In the Operator's Manual, Step 7.) in the "Assembly" section, they mention pushing down the rear of the slide:

"...7. Pull the slide back towards the rear. It might sometimes be necessary to push directly
    down on the back of the slide where the rear sight is located, to ensure that the rails on
    the rear frame insert properly engage the grooves on the bottom of the slide..."

http://hk-usa.com/wp-content/uploads...l-08122014.pdf

But kinda weird there is no mention of dry firing to get the slide off, though.

^^^ Good stuff.

Guess it depends on what they mean by "easily."

Just to clarify, my question was this: Is this normal for me to be able to dry fire the pistol when the take down lever is down and slide is forward. (i.e. I just wanted to find out if they thought my pistol needed to go in for service).
    Thanks for reading this post, I no longer have to dry fire. I simply push the slide down while pulling it back and then forward. This allows me to remove it with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm sure the people at HK know more about their guns than I do, but it should not be possible to dryfire after locking the slide to the rear, rotating down the takedown lever down, and returning the slide forward because the firing pin (striker) should not have been captured by the catch (sear).

In any case, I'm glad your gun is working the way you expect it to and that HK says that it's fine.
    You are absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Just to clarify, my question was this: Is this normal for me to be able to dry fire the pistol when the take down lever is down and slide is forward. (i.e. I just wanted to find out if they thought my pistol needed to go in for service).
    Thanks for reading this post, I no longer have to dry fire. I simply push the slide down while pulling it back and then forward. This allows me to remove it with no issues.
    Might be able to press the trigger,but it won't have a magazine in it. H&K engineered the pistol,so that you cannot have a magazine in the gun during the disassembly/assembly process. This is in response to how many negligent discharges seem to occur during the "cleaning" process.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The only way to load the striker spring after turning the disassembly lever down (at least IME), is to rack the slide while holding the trigger to the rear of the trigger guard (aka riding the reset).

Site Supporter
    I apologize for posting in an old thread. I looked this thread up because i attempted to field strip a brand new VP9 and had trouble. I could not get the slide off the frame and did not want to use force. I locked the slide back, rotated the takedown lever, and eased the slide forward. At this point, i had trouble. The red striker was visible in the back of the slide. I then read this thread and thought "oh no .... is my gun broken?"

Thank you Tom for your explanation of how the mechanics work. I love the technical explanations that this forum has to offer. My gun is brand new and it is easy to see the pin protuding from the catch / sear. I think i discovered something relevant:
    After the slide is locked to the rear and the lever is rotated, if i push down on the slide as i ease it forward, the red striker indicater does NOT protrude. If i do not push down on the slide as it is allowed to go forward, the indicater may or may not appear. If it does not appear, i can remove the slide by pushing down on the rear sight. I sincerely hope this helps in understanding the mechanics which i still do not fully understand.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 05-21-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I think i discovered something relevant:
    After the slide is locked to the rear and the lever is rotated, if i push down on the slide as i ease it forward, the red striker indicater does NOT protrude. If i do not push down on the slide as it is allowed to go forward, the indicater may or may not appear.
    I'm going to zombie this thread as well, sorry, but wanted to add my voice in case anyone else is searching the web for an answer to this. My experience is the same as yours, wolfie, first dozen or so times I took the gun down, didn't have to pull the trigger, just this morning, field stripping it, ended up having to pull the trigger, repeated the process, same thing. Searched the web, found this thread and then your post and was able to reproduce the more or less exact conditions as quoted.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

User Tag List