Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Traveler To NJ Gets Arrested. This One While Doing Disaster Relief.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't buy it either. He ran on a pro-AWB platform, for crying outloud.
    What Christie is saying....all that is just words...words don't mean a thing. Amazing people lend their support to someone when talk is so cheap.

That said, I try to be optimistic. The RKBA has seen some fairly huge wins in the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    It's unfortunate that more LEO's don't exercise some enforcement discretion in these matters as I considered it my duty to do so. The most important element of being an effective gate keeper is knowing who needs a tongue lashing, who needs a spanking and who needs to be shot.
    I took care of a few cases of folks with out of state CCW's in California. Discretion and common sense, along with the mission statement from my first beloved Chief of "Treat the crooks like crooks and citizens like citizens" (and you were SCREWED if you got caught messing that up). Today, with video everywhere and massive Monday morning QB ing from everywhere, the smartest thing a cop can do is emotionless letter of the law, especially when working in places like NJ. While I would hang my head in shame with some of these NJ arrests, I actually understand why officers are doing it. Remember.....cops are simply a mirror of their community, and in this case I don't like what is in that mirror and thus avoid it like Syria.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    See, this whole thing just makes me angry.

Stupid laws, but stupid is as stupid does. Just because it's NJ apparently means people come here and become insta-idiots and run their mouths to cops about doing something that is clearly against state laws if anyone would have 5 seconds to check and half a brain. When I was a Virginia resident on a Virginia CHP I didn't assume everywhere had the same laws, and there were plenty of places I travelled through that did not honor my CHP.....NJ only being one of them. Many of them were gun-friendly states, even.

I seriously doubt this guy had zero clue that NJ gun laws were strict, and it obviously freaking behooves you to not be a dimwit and look up applicable laws to where you're going.

The whole thing just reeks of stupidity.
    This is expecting a lot for people who possess firearms but aren't "gun people." Do you read the entire state code and applicable case law of every state you visit? States do things differently, not just on firearms. Most people simply assume (not unreasonably) that if they aren't doing something "bad" they will not be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    ... and in this case I don't like what is in that mirror and thus avoid it like Syria.
    Sadly, there are probably places in Syria that would be happy to see you if armed, or may loan you guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Sadly, there are probably places in Syria that would be happy to see you if armed, or may loan you guns.
    I think being a Messianic Jew is an across the board ticket to a bad ending for me anywhere in Syria these days no matter which side of the street I was on. Kind of like NJ.....where there is no "safe place".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The Kurdish held areas would probably be OK. They seem to be the different ducks of the area regarding other peoples, besides there are Kurdish Jews, along with the Sunni and Shia muslims, Assyrians, Christians, Yezidis, and whatever others I forgot. They even have arabs fighting with them.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    I know people that carry in direct violation of the law. As long as you don't say anything, how would anyone know.
    My good friend, Mr. Plausible Deniability, used to have that same thought process. Then he got hit by a car. He ended up delaying medical treatment because taking help on the scene would have exposed his handgun, and the possession of it would have resulted in expulsion from his university. Poo happens. Plan on it, and know what you're risking to carry and to not carry.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    This is expecting a lot for people who possess firearms but aren't "gun people." Do you read the entire state code and applicable case law of every state you visit? States do things differently, not just on firearms. Most people simply assume (not unreasonably) that if they aren't doing something "bad" they will not be punished.
    The entire state code? No. I certainly checked reciprocity laws, though. I still check magazine limits and ammo requirements as well as "off limits" areas and if "no guns" signs carry the weight of law. It doesn't strike me as unreasonable in the days of the Internet to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I don't read the entire state code, but I check out USAcarry.com to check out their synopsis.

If I'm unsure, I might Google something extra.

This whole mess could have been avoided if he just googled, "can I bring my XXX to new jersey," or "can I drive around with a handgun in new jersey." That's NOT a complicated unexpected thing to do, as many states have quirks. You should remember Virginia's law against carrying a concealed handgun with a threaded barrel unless you had a Virginia CHP. If I'm visiting a state, I'm not even going to assume whatever model gun or magazines I have are even legal. Stuff like that.

Its a damn shame that his carelessness has made him another notch on the RKBA battering ram as it prepares to eventually strike down NJ's onerous gun laws. I do indeed hope he gets a pardon for his victimless crime.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I check out USAcarry.com to check out their synopsis.
    Another good resource. http://handgunlaw.us/
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    You guys are missing my point. As "gun people" you are well aware of the necessity to research gun laws before going to other states, but my general point was how aware are you of the many variations in criminal laws in states that you travel to? Do you check wiretapping laws to find out if it is legal to record another person without their consent? Do you study the statues the govern operating a vehicle in the states you will be traveling to/through? Do you read the laws governing contracts/torts/every other topic to see how they vary from your state? Most gun owners treat guns just like everything else and assume laws were meant to stop bad people/behavior.

User Tag List