Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Army Switching to Hollow Point Ammunition

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Some years back (not that many), I read that the Corps was actually reducing the number of handguns in their combat arms TO&Es. Company grade officers and staff NCOs would be issued M4s, while the grunts would continue to be issued M-16A4s.

A friend's daughter went through the Marine Corps MP school two years ago, and I was flabbergasted to learn that she received two- TWO- whole days training on the M9, during a six week course. I had worked with her with a borrowed 92F on her break between boot camp and the MP school. She told me that familiarization saved her from boloing.

Did I say training? Actually, it was one day of barely-supervised fam firing, and the next day were quals… which a full third of the class failed. Simply amazing… and scary.

Well, that is twice as many days of training than I received. As I've said, the difference between what I got in Armor Officer Basic Course and what I got at FLETC was night and day, and the scary thing is - that FLETC brings you up to the baseline of competence with a handgun.

XM-17 . . . "17" . . . Hint hint
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I would lol pretty hard if they adopted Hydrashoks. 😄

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    XM-17 . . . "17" . . . Hint hint
    I see what you did there.

Srs question: Any wild guesses on the front runners in the competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I see what you did there.

Srs question: Any wild guesses on the front runners in the competition?
    I have wild guesses. For a "system" with subcompact, compact and full size guns; adjustable grips . . . my wild guess is that Glock and the Sig 320 are top contenders. Frame mounted safeties - IF they are required should be light lifting to be added if required.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I would lol pretty hard if they adopted Hydrashoks. ��
    O M G! I'll shit.

If there history on design and adoption is any "sign" they will probably dump $20 Million into designing/stealing a round that that is far worse than any modern bonded JHP. Im just thinking out loud...

Meh....

The requirements document will define what capabilities the round must have with a hollow point bullet, but in the end it will be a giant waste of time, money, and other resources. Money that would be better spent training those issued a pistol, how to shoot said pistol.

Those who have a "no shit" need for pistols at pistol ranges do not get as hamstrung by retarded policies as those who have pistols issued as a badge of office/rank, so the practical impact on the battlefield will be unidentifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt191145lover View Post
    If there history on design and adoption is any "sign" they will probably dump $20 Million into designing/stealing a round that that is far worse than any modern bonded JHP. Im just thinking out loud...
    Well, the TTAG article did say "The Army said it will rely on FBI data to evaluate bids for the new ammunition." If the Army just asked the FBI what's the best choice and then bought Winchester Ranger Q4364 (or whatever the FBI issues), then great. That makes way too much sense though.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Well, the TTAG article did say "The Army said it will rely on FBI data to evaluate bids for the new ammunition." If the Army just asked the FBI what's the best choice and then bought Winchester Ranger Q4364 (or whatever the FBI issues), then great. That makes way too much sense though.
    It'd more likely be something in the ATK/Lake City line, if I had to guess.

User Tag List