Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Army Switching to Hollow Point Ammunition

U.S. Army Switching to Hollow Point Ammunition

Sources tell TTAG that the United States Army is switching from ball to hollow-point ammunition for its next generation handgun. The Army dropped the bombshell yesterday at the Modular Handgun System Industry Day in Picatinny, New Jersey. The event was held as part of the Army’s procurement process to replace the Beretta M9 handgun and the ammunition used for the gun. After making the announcement, an Army lawyer mounted the stage to mount a defense for the switch hollow-points . . .
    Full story here: breaking-u-s-army-switching-to-hollow-point-ammunition

Nice surprise. I wonder if it is accurate. First thing I thought of was all the previous "Army is soooo dumb" noise.

OTOH it sets up new rounds of angst when pistol JHPs don't turn out to be magical death rays either with full Congressional hearings on how that got screwed up.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Expanding ammo is already in use by some units.

I suspect cost will be a (the?) major issue with a move toward expanding ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Expanding ammo is already in use by some units.

I suspect cost will be a (the?) major issue with a move toward expanding ammunition.
    I don't read much fiction but I forced myself to start one of Dalton Fury's (author of "Kill Bin Laden, former CAG officer) novels, "Full Assault Mode"; mostly because he seems like such a good guy (from his FB page). The weapons and ammo details I've seen so far are interesting albeit I'm considering it fiction in the spirit it is written in.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Saw this this morning as well in my FB feed. I'm going to wait until someone with a little more credibility than TTAGs confirms it.

The problem is also, once you adopt more lethal ammo, you have just eliminated the biggest perceived issue with the M9.

Site Supporter
    I think another thread on the new handgun initiative mentioned the use of 'special' ammo awhile ago. I think I posted that here or somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

The problem is also, once you adopt more lethal ammo, you have just eliminated the biggest perceived issue with the M9.
    Still won't address the lack of modern and relevant handgun training outside of the SOCOM umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Still won't address the lack of modern and relevant handgun training outside of the SOCOM umbrella.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^100x over.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    "Training" What are you talking about?

Hence my usage of the phrase "perceived issue."
    Last edited by Suvorov; 07-08-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling and phrasing

No problem. That is being addressed with an AMU guided combat marksmanship program to be spread around the Army sort of like Modern Army Combatives was. Underway per a PF member in the know.

User Tag List