Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross-dominance and the RSS Basic Handgun course (split form the LAV/AIWB thread)

Cross-dominance and the RSS Basic Handgun course (split form the LAV/AIWB thread)

[split from the LAV bans AIWB for his courses thread]

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    at the foundational level Bill Rogers disallows cross dominance.
    I'm not sure what that means.

Could you elaborate?
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 07-07-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I'm not sure what that means.

Could you elaborate?
    Sure! If you're left eye dominant but right handed, Bill will make you shoot left handed in the Basic course.

Sure! If you're left eye dominant but right handed, Bill will make you shoot left handed in the Basic course.
    This may be a dumb question, but what is the benefit for a brand new shooter to learn that way?

Does he do that with shooters who aren't novices but have never taken any of his classes?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but what is the benefit for a brand new shooter to learn that way?
    I'm curious too.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Probably better for another time, another thread, but at the Rogers School there are Bill rules. One, is that since he believes a shooter will long term be better off to have their shooting hand and dominant eye aligned, in the Basic class, shooters will match eye and hand. In the Advanced/Intermediate class, Bill believes there is not time to change, and you run as you came.

After a lot of discussion, I believe there is no one right answer for all shooters. The answer varies by how dominant in an eye and/or hand you are, how much experience you already have, and other factors. There are examples of very talented shooters doing it opposite -- Enos, Leatham and Sevigny for example all solving this problem differently.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There are examples of very talented shooters doing it opposite -- Enos, Leatham and Sevigny for example all solving this problem differently.
    I suspect that is a clue regarding cross eye dominant shooting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Off topic, but... having trained many, many cross-eye-dominant folks successfully, I really have trouble digesting the logic behind this.

Unless the student is fully ambidextrous (and most are definitely not) this practice seems... well, I'll forego the first adjective that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Off topic, but... having trained many, many cross-eye-dominant folks successfully, I really have trouble digesting the logic behind this.

Unless the student is fully ambidextrous (and most are definitely not) this practice seems... well, I'll forego the first adjective that comes to mind.

Just so it's clear I don't agree with this practice either. That being said Bill's been at this a long time and I don't discount his observations even if they conflict with my own.

Rob Leatham was born right eye dominant and left handed. He switched to shoot right hand, and seems to be doing fine with this method.

Dave Sevigny was born right handed and left eye dominant, and pushes the pistol under his left eye, with good success.

Brian Enos is also cross dominant, but shoots using his non dominant eye as primary, with good success.

I have a friend who came to Rogers Int/Adv and shot cross dominant, pushing the gun across under his dominant eye. He then trained a year, switching gun hand to match his dominant eye. Came back to Rogers, and, go figure, his scores were exactly the same.

I am convinced there is no settled science on this.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Rob Leatham was born right eye dominant and left handed. He switched to shoot right hand, and seems to be doing fine with this method.

Dave Sevigny was born right handed and left eye dominant, and pushes the pistol under his left eye, with good success.

Brian Enos is also cross dominant, but shoots using his non dominant eye as primary, with good success.

I have a friend who came to Rogers Int/Adv and shot cross dominant, pushing the gun across under his dominant eye. He then trained a year, switching gun hand to match his dominant eye. Came back to Rogers, and, go figure, his scores were exactly the same.

I am convinced there is no settled science on this.
    My younger son was lefty for all things as he grew up. His left eye was dominant also. As a young adult his left handed pistol shooting sucked and stayed sucked. For the helluvit one day I told him to try his right hand it sucked a LOT less. That's where he has stayed. After a couple days with Proctor he was shooting pretty decent.

Also as a righty shooter, using his more dextrous dominant left hand to go for the spare mag; his reloads were fast and incredibly sure and smooth from the first repetition of a speed reload. I was stunned.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List