Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ P-07 rusting issue.

CZ P-07 rusting issue.

I've been having a problem with my P-07, after a few day of carrying it, I noticed rust forming in the chamber and on the feed ramp of the barrel.. This is somewhat disappointing to me, as none of the other pistols I carry(HK P-2000, VP9, Gen4,G17) will do this. I'm guessing that CZ does not menlonite their barrels? Damn shame, I really like it, but the rusting issue is a deal breaker for me.. Is this a common problem, or did I just get a barrel that wasn't finished right?
    Last edited by ralph; 07-07-2015 at 09:32 AM.

No issues with mine over 1500 rds or my p09 over 3k and about 6 months.

Dude - I'd call CZ and describe the issue.

I'll bet support helps out.

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    Dude - I'd call CZ and describe the issue.

I'll bet support helps out.
    Yeah, right..I just got off the phone with CZ-USA..Their explanation was that the chamber and feed ramp are left in the white, and depending on humidity etc, it'll rust, so their only advice is to keep the barrel oiled... In a carry gun with a round in the chamber.. right. Talk about a asinine piece of advice. That just about does it for me. I've got a glock, several Hk's that I've carried in the same conditions (hot, humid) for a week or so at a time,(dry bores) and ZERO problems with rust... To me this is unacceptable. So, it may end up going down the road. I'm not having a carry gun that needs continually inspected for rust. In this day and age where even a M&P can have a melonited barrel, there's no reason for CZ not to.
    Last edited by ralph; 07-07-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Yeah, right..I just got off the phone with CZ-USA..Their explanation was that the chamber and feed ramp are left in the white, and depending on humidity etc, it'll rust, so their only advice is to keep the barrel oiled... In a carry gun with a round in the chamber.. right. Talk about a asinine piece of advice. That just about does it for me. I've got a glock, several Hk's that I've carried in the same conditions (hot, humid) for a week or so at a time,(dry bores) and ZERO problems with rust... To me this is unacceptable. So, it may end up going down the road. I'm not having a carry gun that needs continually inspected for rust. In this day and age where even a M&P can have a melonited barrel, there's no reason for CZ not to.
    Should be plenty of options for having the barrel melonited or hard chromed. APW will do the whole slide/barrel in hard chrome for ~$100 I think. Local smith with a blue tank might hot blue just the barrel for substantially less.

Should it rust? No. But people praise the P07 for being a good budget gun. They have to cut corners somewhere. Cosmetic issues (surface rust) are annoying, but so long as it works...

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Should be plenty of options for having the barrel melonited or hard chromed. APW will do the whole slide/barrel in hard chrome for ~$100 I think. Local smith with a blue tank might hot blue just the barrel for substantially less.

Should it rust? No. But people praise the P07 for being a good budget gun. They have to cut corners somewhere. Cosmetic issues (surface rust) are annoying, but so long as it works...
    Thanks, but I'm not putting another dime into it. It's a bit more than surface rust, it's pitted in the chamber in a couple of spots. It already has CGW parts and a trigger job done to it. I've got several other pistols of higher quality that don't rust. I'll probably just sell it. I don't need the problems. Somebody else can deal with it. I'm done.
    Last edited by ralph; 07-07-2015 at 03:19 PM.

If you have the time and inclination Would you mind taking a couple of pictures and posting them? Also, if you don't mind, what's the issue with a little bit of line or rust inhibitor?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    If you have the time and inclination Would you mind taking a couple of pictures and posting them? Also, if you don't mind, what's the issue with a little bit of line or rust inhibitor?
    Having a oiled chamber in a loaded gun is bad idea. The reason being when the gun is fires the case expands until it hits the walls of the chamber. The case grips the walls of the chamber and the pressure from the case being fired is evenly distributed around the case..When the chamber is oiled, the case is unable to grip the chamber walls, all the pressure is then diverted to the back of the case putting much more pressure on the case head. All this is especially true with rifles, as much more pressure is put on the bolt.

As far a the P-07 barrel goes, it appears that the chamber and feed ramp are left in the white, and that the rest of the inside of the barrel from the chamber forward, may be melonited.. This is what I see looking at it with a flashlight.I can only figure that CZ, in their manufacturing process finish reams the chamber as a last step.. Why, I don't know. but, in this day and age where barrels are commonly melonited all the way through, I don't understand CZ's thinking here. IMO is a serious flaw, and for folks like me who sweat a lot when the temp rises above 80,it's a major PITA. As I said, My 1 and only Glock doesn't do it and none of my HK's do either so, why bother carrying the CZ? Going a bit farther with that line of thinking, seeing how it was bought with the intention of being used as a carry gun, and It turns out it's not quite up to the task, Why keep it?

I'm not questioning your decision to ditch the gun. It's not my place to tell other people how to spend their money. I have a couple of P07's and have just started to carry one, so the rusting problem concerns me. That's why I asked about the pictures.

That's interesting about the chamber lube. I've never heard that before and will research it in greater detail.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

Should it rust? No. But people praise the P07 for being a good budget gun....
    Divergence of uses. The majority of firearm consumers do not dilligently carry or practice with their guns. It should be noted that the low end & medium market products sold in the display cases are frankly not designed for intensive users like ourselves.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List