Thread: Smith third gen Dry Fire problem

Smith third gen Dry Fire problem

I've noticed that when third gen S&W's are dry fired using the simulated SA press that is often recommended, there's a weird hitch in the action. Basically, I do the DA stroke, let the trigger out a but, but not far enough to re-engage the full DA and then pull the trigger to the rear again to simulate an SA shot. This is no biggie with SIG's and Beretta's, but with the Smiths, they act like something is getting caught, and when the trigger is pulled the second time, the hammer moves a little. It's not a full hammer stroke, but it does move.

I'm wondering if dry firing a Gen 3 Smith like this will damage the gun or cause some part to wear prematurely. For now, I've just been dry firing them DAO.

I have noticed the same thing. I never explored it enough to actually find out what is going on, but it does seem that letting the trigger out past a certain point the trigger bar tries to pick up the hammer but can not quite fully engage it.

S&W 3rd Gens have a very short reset so you do not have to let the trigger go forward much at all to simulate the SA press, but I have caught that "hitch" myself if I let the trigger out too far.

If I am understanding you fellows correctly:

You are pulling the trigger through the trigger-cocking stroke, then releasing it a bit in hopes of simulating the "single action" pull?

If so, you're doing it wrong. The proper way to practice DA-to-SA transition is to have a coach. You press out, pull through the trigger cocking stroke, HOLD THE TRIGGER BACK (IOW don't release it), have your coach reach over and cycle the slide... which re-cocks the hammer... then, and only then, slowly release the trigger to the reset point. Or, you can do it yourself, although a bit of training value is lost doing it solo.

This is an old, long-accepted way to train for the DA/SA transition, and while I realize some may scoff at it because it isn't "new" and/or invented by somebody with a beard, it is effective.

I can't speak for a Beretta 92 action, but doing what you describe above (if I understood it correctly) is not doing the 3rd Gen S&W action any good. There are several small springs in there (primarily the trigger play spring) that could be damaged, along with the trigger bar/sear enagagement point.

FWIW...

LSP972,

It's a dry fire method that allows doing Bill Drills and El Presidente's and things like that with full continuity, something I've seen mentioned in Steve Anderson and Ben Stoegers Dry Fire materials.

Thank you for the heads up about the potential for damage with the S&W's. On the Beretta, all that happens is the trigger moves, and the trigger bar moves with it, but nothing else. The Smiths are quite different.

User Tag List