Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prequel to .45 Super thread

Prequel to .45 Super thread

Moderator note: These posts are what lead to GJM's dedicated HK USP/.45 super thread, located here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....5-field-pistol

Thank you. The 1066 and 1076 are now back in town, but I will experiment further when I am reunited with them.

I bought a USP 45 back in the winter during that HK factory sale, and shot it for the first time today. It ran several boxes of ball and Ranger 230 .45 acp ammo without issue, and then gobbled up 50 Buffalo Bore .45 Super cartridges. The gun felt very controllable with the .45 Super ammo, and if it continues so, a pair of those may be my field bigger bore semi auto pistols. Not surprising, but it was extremely accurate. The Super ammo hit an inch or two lower than the .acp at 25 yards.
    Last edited by JDM; 07-06-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thank you. The 1066 and 1076 are now back in town, but I will experiment further when I am reunited with them.

I bought a USP 45 back in the winter during that HK factory sale, and shot it for the first time today. It ran several boxes of ball and Ranger 230 .45 acp ammo without issue, and then gobbled up 50 Buffalo Bore .45 Super cartridges. The gun felt very controllable with the .45 Super ammo, and if it continues so, a pair of those may be my field bigger bore semi auto pistols. Not surprising, but it was extremely accurate. The Super ammo hit an inch or two lower than the .acp at 25 yards.
    I shot some super out of a USP Compact 45. Worked fine. A little flippy

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    I shot some super out of a USP Compact 45. Worked fine. A little flippy
    I bet. Not too bad from the FS USP. Wasn't aware it was kosher in the Compact? Boss man likes Super.

How would HK45 and HK45C hold up for .45 Super ? Are they as strong as the USP full size ?

I remember hearing that the HK MK23 was engineered around some 1100fps 230 gr load but have no Idea of the truth of this.

According to some on HK Forum MK23 and USP full size will take a lot of .45 Super. The HK45 is not as strong they say.

Moving stuff from storage I came across American Handgunner 2002 Tactical annual.
    USP article mentions that USP 45s have fired 6000 rounds of 45 Super without incident. I even highlighted this but totally forgot about it. Neat article covers MK23 as well.
    Same issue has Darryl Bolke's Strider article !

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Moving stuff from storage I came across American Handgunner 2002 Tactical annual.
    USP article mentions that USP 45s have fired 6000 rounds of 45 Super without incident. I even highlighted this but totally forgot about it. Neat article covers MK23 as well.
    Same issue has Darryl Bolke's Strider article !
    Bolke and the USP, it was fated then! I am digging' my USP with DA/SA and a thumb safety and .45 Super as a field gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bolke and the USP, it was fated then! I am digging' my USP with DA/SA and a thumb safety and .45 Super as a field gun.
    I think you are right and the HK USP .45 with .45 Super will replace 10mm GL20,29 as a combo social/field gun. Do you see any particular advantage to the USP Tactical .45 ? I may get out of 10mm entirely any thoughts ?

I went down many strange roads with this question, Grizzly .45 Win Mag, and .50 AE , Desert Eagle .50AE ( with tritium sights even).
    They were either too heavy (DE), out of production and logistically unsupportable (Grizzlys), or not reliable with hot ammo (GL20,29). Grizzlys were in my 1911 days, same manual of arms.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I think you are right and the HK USP .45 with .45 Super will replace 10mm GL20,29 as a combo social/field gun. Do you see any particular advantage to the USP Tactical .45 ? I may get out of 10mm entirely any thoughts ?
    As I understand it, the Tactical has the match trigger, adjustable and taller black sights and a threaded barrel. I think I prefer the regular USP 45 with a match trigger (which I need to get installed), fixed sights (that I have HD sights to fit) and a regular barrel.

I did a 50-80 yard session with the USP 45 today. First I was shooting 230 Winchester white box ball. First few shots, I thought "darn miss," and then after what seemed like all day later, I heard the hit on the steel. Haven't been shooting much .45 acp at long range lately, and the difference in velocity was startling. First hit at 65 yards with the .45 Super felt like 9mm velocity, and then knocked the entire 8 inch steel on a 2x4 on a MGM base right over! I am used to knocking targets over with 10mm up close, especially with successive shots, but was quite surprised how hard the Super hit from 65 yards.

In many instances, I think the HK is so overbuilt, it compromises performance. However, with the .45 and Super ammo, given my use around bears, I think it is perfectly built, and the HK is likely to replace my Glock 20, Glock 29, and the S&W 1066/1076 in the field pistol niche. Real easy to get used to a DA/SA trigger with a thumb safety after these extensive AIWB threads.

It looks like the slide cuts on the regular USP 45 and the USP Tactical .45 are the same. I agree that the HKs tend to be Baja trucks rather than Ferraris. I even looked at the HK MK23 but I do not think you gain much for the size increase, different controls etc... though it is probably the toughest match accurate pistol built. Logistics and it having different controls to me are a downside.
    Does the O ring on the Tactical gain you much accuracy ?

User Tag List