Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-Workout Supplements

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Pre-Workout Supplements

I'm curious to hear what members here use. I don't usually use a pre-workout, but I'm getting back into heavy (...for me, anyways) weights, and taking something before a workout helps me a lot in that case.

I used N.O.-Xplode for a while, and it seemed to work well, but that was years ago, so I assume things have evolved since then. I can't handle uber-potent stimulants: the recommended dosage of Hydroxycut Hardcore makes me sick.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I lift in the morning so just coffee for me.

I've known of three people that died from pre workouts, so I avoid them. I work out at nights (7pm or 8pmish) so no coffee for me but I take protein and creatine when I get home. 8 minutes of cardio has shown to be a pretty good pre lifting ritual..

*i also know of people who are pretty successful lifters that use creatine before their workouts for their pre workout

Strong coffee with a little l-argenine, taurine and some bcaas, blended with a couple pats of butter.

If you have stimulant sensitivities, tuning your own is probably best. There are lots of good recipes on it out in the net. Most of the ingredients can be sourced easily, in pure form, on Amazon.

I like to keep it simple, personally. I don't want too much crap in my system if I can help it. I usually include a small blend of nootropics with my pre as well, to spike my focus level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cope.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Cope.
    yesssssss

Pre-Workout Supplements

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/rs...tion/dyno.html

Best stuff I've ever used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I've known of three people that died from pre workouts, so I avoid them.
    If you're willing to elaborate a little more I'd be interested to hear it.

If I do anything in the AM it's coffee with butter and coconut oil, roughly 250-300 calories worth. This will get things rolling quite nicely. If it's right after lunch and before dinner I will plan my lunch to be something with some fats or have almonds. Almonds especially before dinner, an hour or two before anything physical. For caffeine at that point I'd have a pink lemonade Monster. All of this keeps me relatively sugar free and keeps me from crashing like the PWO's I used to use would. Most of that market is sugar and caffeine in order to make people feel like they took something. I also make it a point to be well hydrated and BCAA's can be added here. I've never been able to pinpoint them doing anything though.

This is what's worked for me spanning many phases of being big and strong to fat as hell and weak.

I also make it a point to warm up very well. Not a lazy stretch or a few curls, something that gets me sweaty.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I used Cellucor C4 before but it can leave you feeling jittery http://www.amazon.com/Cellucor-Extre.../dp/B005RCDW8S

I just stick to coffee or a Monster if I need a pick me up.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If you're willing to elaborate a little more I'd be interested to hear it.

If I do anything in the AM it's coffee with butter and coconut oil, roughly 250-300 calories worth. This will get things rolling quite nicely. If it's right after lunch and before dinner I will plan my lunch to be something with some fats or have almonds. Almonds especially before dinner, an hour or two before anything physical. For caffeine at that point I'd have a pink lemonade Monster. All of this keeps me relatively sugar free and keeps me from crashing like the PWO's I used to use would. Most of that market is sugar and caffeine in order to make people feel like they took something. I also make it a point to be well hydrated and BCAA's can be added here. I've never been able to pinpoint them doing anything though.

This is what's worked for me spanning many phases of being big and strong to fat as hell and weak.

I also make it a point to warm up very well. Not a lazy stretch or a few curls, something that gets me sweaty.
    absolutely. First one was in 2010 in Afghanistan, I had just come back onto a major FOB and was clearing out the vehicles so we could resupply and head back out. A buddy of mine drove in and he had a look on his face and I asked him what was going on. He told me they found a body in one of the ditches on the FOB and I assumed a sniper or they had gotten hit by a 107 or something before we showed up. Turns out guy was in his mid thirties and was doing a warm up run before heading to the gym, unfortunately for him he took NO Explode before the run and suffered a major heart attack. I thought this was a fluke but then in late 2011 when I came back to country another person died on a smaller FOB. Same circumstances, took a pre work out (want to say it was no explode again but I didn't know anyone who helped with the investigation first hand) and he was later found on the side of the tent, also dying from a heart issue. From my understanding both men were presumed to be healthy but had undiscovered heart issues that didn't fare well with long term use of a pre workout. The third was a friend from high-school who decided to take some before a night out drinking... maybe I shouldn't count this one because it was not used at all correctly.

Being from a family that suffers from heart issues, I avoid them like the plague now.

User Tag List