Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It just makes me happy: SPAS 12L

It just makes me happy: SPAS 12L

When I started in Public Safety in '92 my employer didn't provide shotguns to us, but we could use our own . My brother lent his 1984 Terminator-approved SPAS-12L to me until I went to SRO in late '93. He gave it to me a couple years back and I just put it Back in Black this weekend with a new recoil buffer assy. It never failed to gain submission upon presentation to a troubled person.[IMG][/IMG]

Oh that is very cool!!!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

One of the meanest looking shotguns ever! But boy were they complicated control wise and the recoil was heavy.

Shooting it with the folding stock is an act of contrition verging on scourging...only the old 870 top folder hurts more...

I've always wondered... what was the hook for?

I always understood the hook to be for one handed shooting. Somehow.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Carry handle, as seen in pic, primarily.

SPAS 15 was even cooler clip fed.

I have been lusting after a SPAS-12 since I was a kid and am hoping to finally pick one up this summer. As stated, insanely overcomplicated but oh-so-pretty.

I'm sure you already know, coldcase1984, but it's always worth mentioning: don't use that lever safety! A design defect will allow it to fire while the safety is put on or taken off, I forget exactly. Something about the sear engagement? I also heard that dry firing then engaging the safety before working the bolt can cause damage as well.

You can't just stroll down the road, you know?

Yup. Was reading about the issue yesterday. What little use this epic blaster will receive will be on range and invoke only the Garand like safety in trigger guard.

I doubt more than 150 rounds has been fired through it since my brother got it new in late '84. Since fewer than 2K were imported I suppose I could sell it for enough to get close to an ANIB 3.5-in. Pre-27 to carry around at work to cement my Angry Old Man persona.

But the gun loon in me wants to get a custom fixed stock, put an Aimpoint, light and laser on it then do the metal in NP3 and furniture in Kryptek Yeti for a Heavy Barbecue Gun/Grampa is a Slig Hallowe'en accessory...

In the short run: detail clean gas system and everything else, find some Variomax choke tubes, replace mag spring and get an alloy follower.

User Tag List