Page 86 of 431 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    The impression (& that's all it is) I got is that most folks who converted to the stealth leavers also converted to the 'G' model, decocker only operation. If that's the case, then you don't have a manual safety to disengage and the decocker is only operated once, prior to holstering the pistol. I wouldn't see that as being a big deal, right? Is there some nuance I'm missing? [Asked in all seriousness since I haven't put stealth levers on and have no plans to convert to a decocker only mode of operation].
    Doesn't seem to be a big issue since decocking is a downgrade in readiness that can take a little extra time if needed. I would think that the problem would be if it was still a safety and you could not successfully toggle it off on the draw.

the stealth decocking levers convert your pistol to a G model decocker only. so they are normally up, and the pistol is ready to fire always. since you don't have to flick them off, like you do with the F model, the fact that they are narrower is not a big deal. you'd only need to use them after loading the pistol and before holstering, or you just finished firing and want to holster a loaded pistol, but you want to decock before holstering. i can't think of a situation where you'd need to do a quick decocking. i reholster in a deliberate manner, so either reaching up with my thumb, or using my off hand to decock the levers is not a big deal. the stealth decockers are, according to my measurements, 1.173" wide, way less than the stock F levers at 1.411" wide.

The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

So going back to Tony1911's questions; seems like it maybe just a matter of personal choice. I'm inclined to say if you're going with the decocker only (G model), then the smaller levers may serve you well. However, if you plan to leave the manual safety active, you'd probably find it advantageous to keep the larger 'bat wings' on the pistol as an aid to flipping the manual safety off. I took a towel (for cushioning) and through a couple of NFL games, flipped the 'thumb safety' off & on a couple thousand times in order to break it in. [emoji6]
    Last edited by busykngt; 08-02-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by busykngt View Post
    The impression (& that's all it is) I got is that most folks who converted to the stealth leavers also converted to the 'G' model, decocker only operation. If that's the case, then you don't have a manual safety to disengage and the decocker is only operated once, prior to holstering the pistol. I wouldn't see that as being a big deal, right? Is there some nuance I'm missing? [Asked in all seriousness since I haven't put stealth levers on and have no plans to convert to a decocker only mode of operation].
    Kinda depends on one's philosophy towards decocking. Doing it before holstering, not an issue. Doing it every time the gun comes off target, could be an issue.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

for the F model decocker/safety, there is a little steel ball that rests in a detent to keep the safety down when desired. for the G model decocker only, there is no ball that rests in a detent, so the return spring always brings the levers back to up and ready to fire. in theory, you can remove the little ball from the F model levers, but you still have the large bat wings then and they aren't needed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Kinda depends on one's philosophy towards decocking. Doing it before holstering, not an issue. Doing it every time the gun comes off target, could be an issue.
    What he said .

Boils down to what works for you .

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    you'd only need to use them after loading the pistol and before holstering, or you just finished firing and want to holster a loaded pistol, but you want to decock before holstering. i can't think of a situation where you'd need to do a quick decocking. i reholster in a deliberate manner, so either reaching up with my thumb, or using my off hand to decock the levers is not a big deal.
    In competition, if you're shooting, then running to another position/shooting bay and shooting again, I want to be decocked during that run in between and re-acquisition. I see people running a whole course of fire without decocking, and I'm not a fan.

In self defense, imagine shooting down a halfway and then deciding you're going to retreat to a different position. Do you want to be doing non-shooting activities (moving, opening doors, etc.) while in SA? That's up to you, of course.

But if you think about it, even Glocks are half cocked. So when someone takes their finger off of a Glock trigger, that gun is mechanically more safe from an inadvertent activation standpoint than your DA/SA in SA mode. So you're not taking full advantage of the safety aspect of DA/SA, despite (correctly) decocking before reholstering (and hopefully thumbing the hammer).
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    On a separate note, has anyone tried out the Beretta 92 style levers for the PX4?

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/safe...c5d667/c8a000/

Sort of an expensive option since you'd have to buy both kits, but I could see doing a left side 92 style and right side stealth style as being a pretty great setup. In theory, anyway.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    In competition, if you're shooting, then running to another position/shooting bay and shooting again, I want to be decocked during that run in between and re-acquisition. I see people running a whole course of fire without decocking, and I'm not a fan.

In self defense, imagine shooting down a halfway and then deciding you're going to retreat to a different position. Do you want to be doing non-shooting activities (moving, opening doors, etc.) while in SA? That's up to you, of course.

But if you think about it, even Glocks are half cocked. So when someone takes their finger off of a Glock trigger, that gun is mechanically more safe from an inadvertent activation standpoint than your DA/SA in SA mode. So you're not taking full advantage of the safety aspect of DA/SA, despite (correctly) decocking before reholstering (and hopefully thumbing the hammer).
    Well the ppq is fully cocked so is it dangerous to carry it with a round chambered?

If you have enough time to decide in competition something is wrong; positions are not that far apart

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post

i've never seen anyone running a 1911 flick the safety on during a stage. if you have time to decock and assess, then there should be no immediate threat to deal with.

User Tag List